Hewlett packard

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Ivy

Re: Hewlett packard

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:43 pm I've had Firefox for decades and it is still alive and kicking, but Chrome is taking over. BUT darn it! All my saved bookmarks etc are in FIREFOX and I haven't had the time, energy or inclination to figure out how to move them over without repeating everything individually (shudder). I suppose I should.

But I'm so old, I started with DOS 3, and the internet was dial up on a landline phone. In some ways, I am very 'computer literate' and in others, I'm a dinosaur.
I remember my brilliant, late father-in-law using DOS and trying to help us with our computers. I used dial up on a landline. We have come such a long way!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

This topic intrigues me because I have a 15 year old iPad that is simply not capable of doing most of what it formerly did. It hasn't changed, but the apps and especially the games I have enjoyed keep being upgraded, and this old machine cannot keep up.
Here's the funny thing, though. I cannot go to the Facebook app any more, or even use the crossword puzzle that I formerly used several times daily, but I can still use Safari on it. In fact, that is what I am using right now to connect here.
I admit to being somewhat of a cheapskate, and somewhat of a Luddite, but life in today's community seems to be reliant on computers and such.
God is good.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

singing with drums wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:35 pm \somewhat of a Luddite
That made me chuckle!! If you're a Luddite, you don't use computers at all, right? At least you know what you need to do IF you decide to
upgrade. :)

On a bit different note, I get kind of irritated with people who won't use computers at all. (Not talking about you, singing). Then, when they get off of FB, or refuse to use it, won't use Messenger, don't use email or text, they expect me to spend time on the phone with them, which I will NOT do. I only communicate electronically these days, on my own time. If they choose to go dark, that's on them. Say bye bye until they're back on line. :lol:
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Hi everyone. I've been using my new computer for about a week now and it seems to work well. It is quiet and boots up pretty fast. So far no program glitches either.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

We just got back from a ten day trip into Tennessee and North Carolina to visit old friends and old relatives (really old relatives). Two 80 year old cousins: one is computer literate, active on FB and Messenger etc, the other does not own a computer, does not own a smartphone, would not know what to do with them if she did - and both are really sweet people. The non-computer one (alas) gets all her news from Fox - BUT - BECAUSE SHE DOES NOT GET INTERNET AT ALL - she does not get the 'echo chamber' and pure toxicity of getting things repeated and repeated and repeated -
Plus she is really a very cheerful and bubbly person anyway, which likely helps.

Not a political person, at all - which in this case is probably a good thing.

We talked mostly about 'old stuff', family of the past, etc. That and ailments. We are all old enough to have PLENTY of topics when we stick to those!

The internet/smartphone user is active in her community, supports liberal causes and is backing a candidate for mayor for her dying industrial city, who is - FROM New York, GAY as it is possible to be, and 'the sweetest man'. He's been living there over ten years, and is on the city council for almost that long, and he has ideas about revitalizing the city (which is actually in a decent position to do something about the boarded up downtown, really - it is on the interstate. It is adjacent to a college city nearby. He could DO this - assuming he can get elected in North Carolina just now.

Clueless non-internet cousin (same age, different side of my family) when the topic came up of such things (marriage and divorce, playing around, and 'gay' folks - had this to say:
People were doing the exact same things sixty years ago, it just wasn't quite so PUBLIC!

I believe she saw that is a mixed blessing, rather than a positive evil.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

What a nice trip, Agri!! I miss having elderly relatives, as most or all have now passed. Now my cousin peers and I ARE the elderly relatives.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Lol. ivy and Agri are both old.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:17 pm Lol. ivy and Agri are both old.
And proud of surviving to do it!! BH, you'll be old before you know it.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Ivy wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:13 am What a nice trip, Agri!! I miss having elderly relatives, as most or all have now passed. Now my cousin peers and I ARE the elderly relatives.
That's my family. I have one aunt left on my father's side. She was the baby of her family and I have a cousin, her niece, who is only a year younger than she. It seems strange to be the old generation of the family. I firmly believe that I will bury all my siblings and most of my cousins. My siblings all have some fairly serious health issues as do most of my cousins. Other than the 20 extra pounds I've carried my whole life the drs. can find nothing wrong with me.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

zeek wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:00 am Other than the 20 extra pounds I've carried my whole life the drs. can find nothing wrong with me.
Wow zeek!! That's something to treasure.