Hello fellow survivors

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
redheadrachel

Hello fellow survivors

Post by redheadrachel »

Hello all! I am actually returning to this board years later and am so glad to see there is still a support forum for survivors of this spiritually abusive church. Let me introduce or reintroduce myself.
My name is Rachel and I am 27. I grew up in the church and went to Freed-Hardeman. It was at FHU that I first left the church for a more charismatic, non-denominational church. It was then that I joined this forum. But I had that little fear in my heart of what if they're right, so I actually went back and got engaged to a coC preacher to kind of make myself stay so I could get to heaven...
Well long story short, the engagement broke off and I've been out as a lesbian for a little over three years now. I am not spiritually practicing but I play piano for a church. My life has had many ups and downs and I working hard to heal from all the trauma and abuse I suffered, both inside and outside this church. I think the coC is conducive to extreme black and white thinking and fills its adherents with judgment and fear.
My family and I are at odds but I have a strong support system. I look forward to getting acquainted with you all on here. Thanks for reading!

Rachel
Opie

Re: Hello fellow survivors

Post by Opie »

Hi Rachel, glad you're here. I am also new here. I have been reading a lot of posts on this board, and realizing that we all seem to have many hurts and scars that we've received from this legalistic denomination. Best wishes to you.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
bnot

Post by bnot »

Welcome Rachel :D
redheadrachel

Post by redheadrachel »

Thanks guys :)
GMan

Post by GMan »

Glad to see a voice from the past.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Welcome back, Rachel! You've had quite an adventure since you were first with us.
Glad to see you again!
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome back.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome back, RHR!!! Good to see you.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

Welcome back, Rachel. Glad you found us again!
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I remember you, Rachel! Welcome back! :P
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages