Hi Everyone!

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Nicodemus

Hi Everyone!

Post by Nicodemus »

I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I'm a recovering church of Christ preacher who preached for over 16 years. I left the church of Christ last fall, but for probably the last 5-6 years I had mentally checked out out on so much of the toxic environment and teachings of that faith tradition. I guess I had trained myself to be quite the actor out of survival. I graduated from one of the "big " church of Christ universities, going on to get a MDiv at a denominational seminary. I only list these things to reinforce just how surreal the last eight months have been for me. Along the way as a preacher, I almost lost my parents, definitely lost a marriage and countless relationships, and it feels like so much more.

My leaving that tradition was liberating, but at the same time, I have ironically seen first hand now so much of the toxicity that I experienced (and took part in) from the other side for years. I've pretty much left religion completely now as anything more than a research interest. But I'm learning more and more daily after leaving just how harmful the coc culture truly was, even more than I discovered when the scales started falling from my eyes years ago.

Thanks for letting me join the forum and I look forward to the support!
Ivy

Re: Hi Everyone!

Post by Ivy »

Welcome Nicodemus!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
zeek

Post by zeek »

Welcome, Nicodemus, and genuine condolences for the things you lost upon your exodus from the coC.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome! I can’t imagine how difficult it was to keep preaching when you were mentally through with the COC. As a woman, I never had my career attached to my COC religion. I was fortunate that my husband and I got ready to leave around the same time.
Wishing you happiness in you new freedom.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board - do feel free to browse!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

welcome. But don't spread any false doctrine around here or you will get rebukified. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx