was on the old board but it's been awhile

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
truthseeker

Re: was on the old board but it's been awhile

Post by truthseeker »

Grace wrote:I agree that it is hard to find a church that fits me well. I am comfortable with some aspects of one church and then like something else from another church.

That was helpful information Agricola. I will check out the articles.

I'm the same way. I believe it's harder for one who has been brainwashed for years that the COC was the only place that a Christian could go to church. In the last few years, I've come to realize that there is no perfect church here on Earth. I've also realized that a relationship with Jesus is the only way to get to Heaven. Good luck on your search. I still struggle with this too.
ena

Post by ena »

truthseeker wrote:Hey guys. I haven't posted anything on the new board and it's been awhile since I've even visited the old board. I grew up in the COC for 35 years. I come from a long line of COCers. I've been out of the COC for a few years now. I have been going to a baptist church. I'm still not completely sure exactly what I believe the Bible teaches. I know more than anything I want to go to Heaven. I still have people trying to get me to come back to "The Church" . Sometimes it's a tough struggle.
I went to Baptist churches for years. Hope you found one to your liking. When you look at scripture without COC blinders on you will find things you did not see before and that can be confusing at first. In time you will see differently and hopefully better. Good luck. It does take time.
Hildegard

Post by Hildegard »

Hello and welcome!

I echo what agricola and others have said. A cooling off period is key. Don't go anywhere for a few weeks--or months--if you don't want to. Study the Bible or don't, that's up to you.

As an example, we had to get used to the idea that we were still Christians and God still loves us even if we didn't go to church on a Sunday morning (or a Sunday evening because we were total guilty slackers who liked our sleep). That may not be exactly where you're at, but the point is, take some time to be yourself. It was about 4 months before I could entertain the idea of stepping foot into a church (I will admit I was familiar with the Episcopalian churches, so that made it easier to make the leap, eventually). And even after that, my attendance was spontaneous for awhile.

Definitely don't let anyone from the CoC persuade you into coming back, even "to visit." Just say, "Thanks for thinking of me," don't commit to anything, and change the subject or leave.
candace

Post by candace »

Welcome! It's been awhile since I posted, too.