Wow. I am glad I am not alone!!

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Kella89

Wow. I am glad I am not alone!!

Post by Kella89 »

Hello. I am Kella. Not my actual name but what I go by. I grew up in the coc in Wichita, KS from birth until about 6 years ago when my parents divorced, and I conceived my first child (out of wedlock, need I sat more?). I was told I was too young (21) to have a child, however my best friend was pregnant at the same time, but it was ok for her since they were married. When our children came a month apart, a shower was held for her baby. Mine wasn't worthy of even being mentioned. Now at that time I was already leaving the church that was already dying anyways. We went from being the biggest coc in Wichita, holding two services every Sunday (200+ each), to just under 50 in only 10 years. There's a story of how it got thwre, but it's way too much to type right now. Long story short... I was judged and deemed the outcast because of my divorcing parents (who were regular attenders) and the gossip train taking sides (whichever produced the juiciest gossip) and for being a single mother. One family even suggested abortion! :( I thought, "If THIS is CHRISTIANITY then I want nothing of it!" I turned away from God. Then 3 years later, a pastor from an Assembly of God church came to my neighborhood telling us about the thanksgiving dinner they'd soon be having and invited us. We went because we has a friend in the hospital and were going to save our fixings for when he got out. We were showered with love and affection! I told them my church story. They said "That's awful. Hey our church motto is All People Matter to God!" Well after testing out a worship service, which was WAAAAAY far from our norm of the coc, we were unsure. But their love and kindness kept us coming back. Well to wrap up, I now attend an AOG church and have a new found love for God. Stronger than EVER!!! Because it's so late, I must cut this short. But to wrap up, the COC caused me much self loathing and in fear of God instead of being in love with Him. More to come soon....
teresa
Site Admin

Re: Wow. I am glad I am not alone!!

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the board. I attended a community church on Wednesdays for a couple of years, which I think was AOG. I really liked their revival services, once I had gotten used to them. I learned how to move out of my "left brain" and into my "right brain" to experience the presence of God.
Struggles101

Post by Struggles101 »

Welcome! you'll find some good reading/conversation here.

coc gossip train?!?! You'll never find such a thing in the one true church. hahahahahaha
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Welcome to the board and I hope you find some good support and help along your way.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the board, Kella!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Slwiser

Post by Slwiser »

It is wonderful you found a God fearing and scripture respecting church. I am not AOG but know many who are and they are great people.
Kella89

Post by Kella89 »

Thanks everyone! There's much more to my history with the coc, but you just got the bones of it. Now if ya want the meat and potatoes, just ask and give me some time to type. Maybe 2 or 3 hours! Lol. But if you're here too as an ex coc, I am sure you could fill in the blanks quite easily.
Letmethink

Post by Letmethink »

Welcome, Kelly!