hi

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
ashuiren

hi

Post by ashuiren »

Hi. I'm Ashuiren online. I was raised in a conservative coC. Growing up, I never really felt I fit in. Once I left my parent's home, and moved away, I quit attending other than occasionally when visiting family. For years that has been fine, but now that I'm a parent and wondering what, if anything to teach my children about religion, I find myself having to face my old demons. It seems the coC mentality is hard to leave behind, and they do such good job of convincing you that everyone else is wrong that when you reach the same conclusion about the coC you feel...lost. Anyway, I'm looking forward to working through this with people who've "been there". :-)
agricola

Re: hi

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the board! And you are not alone.
If you haven't firmly dealt with your own baggage from the coc, it is very hard to know how to deal with decisions about raising kids, isn't it? I hope you can find some useful information here.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Welcome! You are fortunate that you won't be raising your children in the CofC. I regret that my children were raised in it. It all went very badly.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Welcome, you will find a good amount of information and help here. Hope all goes well.
flawed

Post by flawed »

Your story sounds much like mine, I'm still trying to figure things out, especially how to deal with my family who are hard-core coc. This has been a safe place for me and has helped me so much, hopefully you will benefit from it as well.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome to the board. :P
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome!! Glad you found us.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Extreme forms of religious fundamentalism indoctrinate (brainwash) their members. The c of is an extreme form of religious fundamentalism. Leaving the c of c is similar to leaving a cult. It often requires a de-programming process & that often requires some form of re-education.

It is often not enough just to say the c of c & groups like them are wrong, fortunately there is a mountain of evidence that proves their dogma is wrong. Scholars such as Bart Ehrman, Marcus Borg, & NT Wright have written extensively about the Bible & the dangers of interpreting it too literally. Their books are available on Amazon.

It might be helpful to check out some of their books.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Hi, glad you found us.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Letmethink

Post by Letmethink »

welcome!