fellow weirdo

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
dont_call_it_that

fellow weirdo

Post by dont_call_it_that »

I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm dont_call_it_that. Hello!

I'm a 30-something woman who grew up in the coC in the deep south. There was never really any middle ground for me; I was a devout member up until the day I wasn't. That was about ten years ago. I've been an atheist ever since. I'm also a scientist, a mom, and a wife, among other things. I hate to sound dramatic, but the political and cultural climate of late has really brought back a lot of issues for me, especially in my relationship with my conservative, religious family. I have a great support network IRL, but this particular brand of spiritual upbringing is just something that not many people understand. So, please believe me that it's a term of endearment when I say Hello, fellow weirdos!

I suspect I'll mostly lurk here. Then again I have a big mouth, so who knows. Issues I'm passionate about include science, women's rights, mental health, and emotional abuse in all its forms. Also I just like a good laugh.

Nice to meet you all.
B.H.

Re: fellow weirdo

Post by B.H. »

Welcome.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board! And I'm REALLY glad you have support IRL.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

So glad you have joined us.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Hello from a fellow former c of c member but now a non-believer like you. Most of the folks here are still believers aka fundamentalists, so I don't label myself as an atheists because that word tends to upset current believers.

I am also active over @ ex-Christian.net. I go by the name Geezer over there. That is obviously a much more friendly site for non-believers. There are several ex c of c that are active there too.

Teresa has designated a special place for those of us who have fallen away to express our thoughts & opinions. Old Paths Reconsidered & the Coffee House is where she would prefer we posts our thoughts. The rest of the board is pretty much designated as agreement only sections. We can post there but only if we agree with the thoughts being expressed.

Over @ ex-Christian.net you can post whatever you want so free speech is alive and well there, but the two sites clearly have different purposes & agenda's.

Anyway, welcome aboard.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Cootie - please, a cautionary note:

'believer' does NOT equate to 'fundamentalist'.

A 'fundamentalist' is a certain VARIETY of 'believer', not a synonymous term.

There are quite a large number of ex-coc people who have joined this discussion group, and many - BUT NOT ALL - of them post. Some of them - a substantial number, in fact, only read. Those who do post span a spectrum from Christian believers, to non-Christian believers, to non-believers.

There are two divisions of this forum for ex-coc folks. One division is for mutual support ONLY. The other division allows for a degree of challenge and debate. We always ask people to avoid dismissive language or personal attacks toward individuals. On the challenge and debate side, people may attack IDEAS but not people holding those ideas.

If you see a post which seems out of line, please report it (thread and location and poster) to one or all of the moderators (use the PM function):

Moderators: teresa, gman, agricola.

We ask people who post internet links to 'disable' them to avoid creating easy ways into the forum for non-members - you can do this by changing part of the 'http' in an URL to - for instance - h**p.

There's a block on people posting links who have just joined - you have to have made ten or more posts first (I believe - this isn't my area!).

Threads in this forum - the welcome forum - are locked after a certain number of days, so that they don't turn into major discussion threads. This forum is really just for introductions and hellos.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Hello and welcome!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Welcome aboard!
Letmethink

Post by Letmethink »

Hello and welcome. Fellow non-believing-but-once-very-devout member here.