Sorting through all the confusion

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Findingmyway

Sorting through all the confusion

Post by Findingmyway »

Hello all, I am new to this board. I have been struggling to find my way recently even though I seperated from CoC almost 2 decades ago, I was a teen, who had to many questions and knew to much for my own good about things that will not be spoken of. I am hoping to find some exceptence and understanding, things I was never able to fully find in the CoC. I have both great and awful memories of my time in the church. Yet have no desire to join another CoC, although I am open to other churches, I am just realizing in my search is a lot harder than I thought would be.
agricola

Re: Sorting through all the confusion

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board. I hope you find some of what you are looking for, or someone here who can give you some ideas or information.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Making a major changed in religion and/or a person's religious beliefs is often far more difficult than the person anticipated. Loss of friends and social structure is common and is often accompanied by fear & uncertainty. Often family issues are added to that, and with that often comes some emotional issues.

Think about what it's like to move to a new city without your family and have to start over & then multiply that times ten. This process actually has a name. It's called Religious Trauma Syndrome. This journey is a process not an event & for some people it takes years to complete their journey.

I left the c of c in 2005 & it took me a long time to get that kind of thinking out of my head but eventually, as in years, I did. Hang in there. Things will get better.

I think you might find this site helpful. Take some time & read what others experienced & I'm sure you will find some similarities. Oh yeah, welcome aboard and congrats on your escape.
dont_call_it_that

Post by dont_call_it_that »

Hi! You definitely aren't alone.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages