Preacher's kid finally leaving

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
hannahelizabeth96

Preacher's kid finally leaving

Post by hannahelizabeth96 »

Hi everyone! I'm Hannah and I'm from the Tulsa, OK area. I grew up in the church and am a PK although my parents are divorced and have been since I was an infant. I guess I have it easier than most PKs because of that. I've been a sort of rebel in the church since I was around 17 (I'm 21 now) and even got a stern talking to from an elder because of my nose piercing! I've kind of been in the process of leaving ever since then but I'm moving in with my boyfriend of three years next week and after the way my father, a preacher, has treated me, I know I can't go back. He talks badly about my mom, told me that my boyfriend treats me like an object, that my boyfriend doesn't really love me or he wouldn't have sex with me (God forbid I like sex too), and makes assumptions about how my dead relatives would feel about this (which is hilarious because they really disliked him). Talking to him on the phone is like getting preached at. I guess I should be thankful he's in Texas. Sorry if this has been a bit disjointed and hard to read, I'm just upset. Hearing your father say that he'd rather you be unhappy but doing what the church wants is difficult and I'm having a hard time gathering my thoughts.
Struggler

Re: Preacher's kid finally leaving

Post by Struggler »

Welcome to the neighborhood. Your story doesn't sound disjointed at all. Maybe it's your father's attitude that is disjointed.
Make yourself at home!
KLP

Post by KLP »

Welcome. Hopefully you will eventually be able to find some good in your father even if his thinking, behavior, and approach are way out of bounds. At some point it will be clear if a relationship of some type is even still possible and/or desirable on his part. Things are hot and heavy right now...hopefully the emotions will temper soon and some good will remain as possible. But maybe not.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

There is a unique mindset that members of any strong, legalistic, religious fundamentalists group possess. It is exhibited as a we verses the world way of thinking. The Church of Christ & groups like that often reflect cult like traits & behavior that comes from their unique beliefs & way of interpreting scripture.

Their midset isn't going to change so that doesn't leave you many options. Ignoring them & have as little contact with them as possible is about your only alternative. I realize when this kind of situation develops it hurts everyone & they use that to manipulate you into repenting & returning to the fold.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Congratulations on leaving! Welcome aboard.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Welcome! I hope you find great support here.
doombunny88

Post by doombunny88 »

Sorry your dad is being a jerk. I hope that things get easier for you, and that this forum can help.