Longtime lurker, first time poster (Hi!)

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
FFT

Longtime lurker, first time poster (Hi!)

Post by FFT »

Hi all, I've been lurking on these boards for about a year now, and thought it was time to properly introduce myself. I grew up in the non-institutional church of Christ (haha, even after years away, my instinct is to NEVER capitalize the "c" in church), from birth until I finally started to pull away in my early 20s.

I can relate to so many of your stories, and it feels wonderful to find a community of people who knows what it's like to grow up in the "one true church" and finally gain the clarity to leave it behind.

Of course, I grew up being taught that going to the COC was the only path to heaven, everyone else was going to hell, etc, and, as I'm sure was the intention, it terrified me. Even though I loathed going to church (I know, I know, the church is the people, not the building) three times a week, I felt like it would be a lifetime requirement, unless I wanted to spend eternity suffering and being tormented. I figured it would just be something for me to get through multiple times a week, in order to get my "reward," even though an eternity of one long, never ending church service didn't sound like a great prize to me.

In my early 20s, I met my now husband, who had grown up completely free of religion. Imagine my surprise to find out that he wasn't a terrible, immoral sinner who was looking to pull me away from "the truth." He has morals! He does the right thing! He cares about others! Not because the good book commands it, not out of obligation, or fear of hell, but because he (shock!) wants to.

As insane as it sounds, even though I had interacted with non-Christians throughout school (but not college - hi fellow Florida College alums!) and work, meeting him was the first time I realized that you didn't have to be a member of the church to be a good person, and it felt so freeing.

I slowly started going less and less about 7 years ago, and I've never felt better or like the most true version of myself. Unfortunately, my parents are still hardcore believers, and even as a grown woman, I feel like I have to hide it from them that I no longer attend/believe. I think they may suspect, but we've kind of got a "don't ask, don't tell" thing going on, which is helped by the fact that I live just far enough away from them to not be expected to go to their congregation. The fact that they may not want to have a relationship with me because of it is what keeps me silent, which I think is incredibly sad. In a lot of ways, I feel like they'll never fully know the real me.

Like many of you, I feel like the church has scarred me in ways - the eternal feeling of guilt, low self esteem, catching myself being super judgey about some things, before remembering that I don't believe any of it anymore. It's exhausting and I've come to believe that's it's a terrible way to raise children.

Also, as a result, I'm completely turned off the idea of religion and have no interest in pursuing it. I'm not totally sure what I believe, but I've also realized I don't care much in figuring it out. I'm just enjoying the freedom and I've learned to love Sundays and Wednesdays again, although there's always a bit of a pit in my stomach on both days, until I remember that I no longer have any religious obligations. What a beautiful feeling.

Sorry for this novel! I guess I have more feelings on this than I even realized. Looking forward to talking to you all in more depth and learning more of your stories.
Cootie Brown

Re: Longtime lurker, first time poster (Hi!)

Post by Cootie Brown »

Welcome, I'm glad you found this site & happy for you being able to overcome the indoctrination you were subjected to. I left religion behind several years ago & I have never regretted it.
flawed

Post by flawed »

Hi FFT, and welcome. Your story is so very similar to mine, I seriously could have written it. So happy you've joined us!
agricola

Post by agricola »

FFT wrote: Of course, I grew up being taught that going to the COC was the only path to heaven, everyone else was going to hell, etc, and, as I'm sure was the intention, it terrified me. Even though I loathed going to church (I know, I know, the church is the people, not the building) three times a week, I felt like it would be a lifetime requirement, unless I wanted to spend eternity suffering and being tormented. I figured it would just be something for me to get through multiple times a week, in order to get my "reward," even though an eternity of one long, never ending church service didn't sound like a great prize to me.

Like many of you, I feel like the church has scarred me in ways - the eternal feeling of guilt, low self esteem, catching myself being super judgey about some things, before remembering that I don't believe any of it anymore. It's exhausting and I've come to believe that's it's a terrible way to raise children.
I have this weird feeling that you were quoting from my (unfortunately, never written down) life's journal!

Welcome to the ex board, jump right in!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

It is good to have you aboard. Welcome!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

You definitely took pages from my book!! We are kindred spirits, I imagine. Welcome to the dark side!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FFT

Post by FFT »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Welcome to the board.

Kind of an FC alum myself, only 2 semesters, maybe we went to chapel! :o

It is funny that I was considered an alum of that school by them at least, because everywhere I moved they would always find me and send me calendars, the magazine and ask for money. Finally last year I filled out the update card and told them that they could keep sending stuff but I would only throw it in the trash and that there was absolutely no way I was going to send them any money and by the way, I was no longer a member of their "denomination". Mail has stopped.

Glad you are here.
FFT

Post by FFT »

gordie91 wrote:Welcome to the board.

Kind of an FC alum myself, only 2 semesters, maybe we went to chapel! :o

It is funny that I was considered an alum of that school by them at least, because everywhere I moved they would always find me and send me calendars, the magazine and ask for money. Finally last year I filled out the update card and told them that they could keep sending stuff but I would only throw it in the trash and that there was absolutely no way I was going to send them any money and by the way, I was no longer a member of their "denomination". Mail has stopped.

Glad you are here.
I only spent 2 semesters there too! It was more than enough :)

Speaking of chapel, I cherished those three absences we were allowed, even if it was followed by a very snarky "we missed you in chapel" note in my mailbox :roll:

I love your response to their incessant mailing and that it worked. Somehow I've managed to escape their mailing list, hopefully forever. I'm planning to write a little more in depth about my experience at FC, but to sum it up, I found it to be incredibly clique-y and the education to be severely lacking. I definitely have a few fond memories there, but I'm very happy I didn't spend more time there than I did. Happy to meet a fellow FC-er that has seen the light!
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome! I was non-institutional COC also, but I avoided Florida College, thank goodness. I have lots of relatives in both NICOC and mainline, including several preachers. They have given up on me after all these years. My parents have passed on, but we had good relationships eventually after I left the Truth.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages