New to the Site

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
catechumen

New to the Site

Post by catechumen »

Quick synopsis: Cradle CoCr, multiple generations, sat through many a sermon on key topics of the '60s including emphasis on exclusivity, longing references to the beginning of the 20th Century "when we were the fastest growing church, etc." Due to family moves got to experience a number of different congregations in the '70s and early '80s. Stayed with it more or less (although not too convinced) into early married years. When asked to be a deacon in my early 30s, I asked the elder I was speaking with why they wanted me to be one. He didn't really answer, but reading between the lines it amounted to we're trying to expand stakeholders to stabilize this mess. That congregation routinely had attendance over a 1000 to 2000 and a fair amount of prominence in those days. It no longer exists. However, the senior pastor was pretty forthcoming against the exclusivity that was part of my early formation so I took him up on it and gradually oozed out with my family (immediate anyway as I abandoned my parents there) over 6 months (we still had teaching responsibilities so had to double-church it a while.) Have been an active member in (since then) a moderate size Independent Christian Church (first stop was pretty close to home), a United Methodist Church, another sort of experimental non-Church of Christ Church of Christ, moved geographically and have since been associated with first an UMC mega-church (about 5K mbrs) and then (currently) a very small historic UMC congregation (had moved again). I am also currently participating as a candidate in Roman Catholic Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults with possible entry into the RC at Easter. Will likely be "bi-religious" after that with involvement/attendance in both UMC and Roman Catholic settings. All this in only a little over half a century. My grandfather was a CoC Elder, and in fact I served as one in the Independent Christian Church. I have mostly made peace with my origins at this point, but am intrigued by this site. Curious to see the stories of others. If I had to pigeon-hole myself, I'd probably say I'm a Christian Humanist although I admit that doesn't convey tons of meaning.
teresa
Site Admin

Re: New to the Site

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the board.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Anyone ever associated with the Church of Christ has a story. Yours was fairly benign but interesting. My wife is a member of a large UMC & I attend services with her.

Welcome aboard & please feel free to posts some of your thoughts & comments.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome! Read a bunch of posts, take what you like and leave the rest. :D
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the 'ex' board. You will find a lot of diversity in post -coc paths.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Great to have you aboard!
flawed

Post by flawed »

Welcome, I'm having trouble believing any of it anymore, but am still stuck (occasionally) attending a liberal COC because I can't stand up to my family. I'm mostly just focusing on trying to be a good human being without the constant fear of going to hell.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome, catechumen!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
HighLiter871

Post by HighLiter871 »

Congrats on your journey thru RCIA. I did the same several years ago and have never had even an inkling to look back. I too came from a hard-core CoC (never small-case the first "c") background, took a detour thru Presbyterianism (nice folks), and finally found my way home. God bless.