I needed this site a long time ago

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Rebel58

I needed this site a long time ago

Post by Rebel58 »

I am a cradle CoC, my mother is still a very conservative CoC. We go back many generations in the CoC and I have lots of relatives across the country who are still strong believers. I am one of the first to openly leave the CoC in my immediate family.

I was married at 18 because I wanted to have sex and still be accepted by the church (I did not know this at the time, lots of therapy have lead me to come to this conclusion) After I got a divorce and left the church, my mother said to me many times, I wish I was going to see you in heaven..... She still believes that all of her 5 children are going to hell because we either attend a different church or no church at all, not to mention most of us are divorced and some remarried and I divorced a second time. I am Methodist, and we have a baptist and my brother is married to the Youth Minister of an Episcopal church. My youngest sister still goes to CoC but not very often and I have had conversations with her that lead me to believe that she is not sure what she believes.

I was ostracizced from the church when I was about 22 (due to my divorce) - Due to the brainwashing I was convinced that I was going to hell and there was no forgiveness for me so I totally rebelled and did everything we were told that would send us to hell. Around the age of 40 I discovered the Methodist Church and began learning what Christianity truly is. But it still took me several years to truly believe I was not going to hell simply because I do not believe what the CoC believes.

I wish I had known about this site a long time ago, but now that I have, I hope I find what I need to completely heal from the judgements that I endured from this church.
Ivy

Re: I needed this site a long time ago

Post by Ivy »

Welcome Rebel!!

You've come to the right place.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex board!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome! How did you find this site, BTW?
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Welcome, glad you figured it out when you did. My wife is a Methodist now & I attend services with her. I'm no longer a believer but I can tolerate the Methodist Church. The people are nice & not the least bit legalistic.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Glad to have you aboard!
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome, from another ex-COC turned Methodist! :D
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages