New member in north TX

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
nate774

New member in north TX

Post by nate774 »

Hello,

I hope I do this right. I have little experience with forums. I'm happy to have found this site. My Dad and Mother come from church of Christ families. Most of my cousins are also "church of Christ". Sounds like my experience wasn't half as bad as many on here. My beliefs have been slowly changing for the past 10 years or so.

Every Sunday I visit my parents and do laundry. I go over there AFTER church time of course, because I have no interest in going. But during the day I burden myself with dreading the chance of my Dad inviting me to go to church with them that evening. He wants me to so I can take communion.

Anyway... there are other undercurrents in my family that cause various emotional burdens. My sister is divorced for one... which I heard my Dad say he struggles with "everyday" to my mom. My sister's ex still goes to their church. My sister may be a likely candidate to be a member on this site one day.

Anywho, that is all. I look forward to sharing thoughts here :D
agricola

Re: New member in north TX

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board! Feel free to browse around and get familiar with the building.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome, nate!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Sounds like you might be youngish.....? Not to be presumptuous, of course.

I am just thinking that with each new generation of ex-cofc person finding their way here, the general sense of trauma
seems less. I do indeed hope that is true. Having said that.....it's concerning that your dad talks about worrying daily about his
divorced daughter's salvation, and trying to corral you to go to church "so you can take communion" when you obviously don't want
to go.

Glad you stopped by the site.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome. Glad to have you here.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Howdy! Glad you found this site.I hope you find some helpful information.
nate774

Post by nate774 »

Thank you everyone =)

Ivy.... I consider myself young-- I'm 40, but I think my dad thinks I'm 12. I get the impression that is common though, and I can't really tell him, "I have no interest in going to church.. it's depressing... don't ask me to go again."--- I don't know what that would do to him.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

nate774 wrote:Thank you everyone =)

Ivy.... I consider myself young-- I'm 40, but I think my dad thinks I'm 12. I get the impression that is common though, and I can't really tell him, "I have no interest in going to church.. it's depressing... don't ask me to go again."--- I don't know what that would do to him.

Well, you are much younger than a lot of us here!! :D I do understand, nate.....CofC parents can be very controlling and manipulative when trying to keep us in the fold.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome from another Texan!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
flawed

Post by flawed »

Welcome from another almost 40 Texan!