Hey Everyone

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
idontgotoFC

Hey Everyone

Post by idontgotoFC »

I just wanted to say I'm glad to find this forum. I'm currently working towards being officially "Ex-coC", but it's been a long process. I grew up in a non-institutional, no kitchens, Florida College supporting church. I've been an undercover Ex-coC for 2-3 years now, after being an undercover "liberal" for a year or two.

It's time for me to come out of the closet. I'm making an appointment with a therapist to work through some things and to make a plan to exit. I'm mainly not public for my family's sake - I know the few friends I have in the coC won't mind my exit much. It's hard to think about going through with though.

I just wanted to introduce myself though :)
Cootie Brown

Re: Hey Everyone

Post by Cootie Brown »

Glad to hear you've escaped. Welcome to reality and sanity. I'm a none, but my wife is a Methodist. They're pretty cool and most importantly they aren't legalistic...and the music in their services is spectacular. 8-)

This is a good place to be for those exiting the c of C. Lots of good info on this site that I know you will find helpful.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
idontgotoFC

Post by idontgotoFC »

Cootie Brown wrote:Glad to hear you've escaped. Welcome to reality and sanity. I'm a none, but my wife is a Methodist. They're pretty cool and most importantly they aren't legalistic...and the music in their services is spectacular. 8-)

This is a good place to be for those exiting the c of C. Lots of good info on this site that I know you will find helpful.
Thanks! I've been avoiding church for a while now, but I've definitely felt drawn to the Episcopal Church, so not too far from the Methodists. It seems like a total 360°from the coC in most ways. I visited at the Episcopal Church near me a few times - I loved the liturgy and how they don't judge anyone. Plus, I'm fairly on board with their theology (or lack thereof?). It seems like a good place for me to land while I try to figure out things after officially exiting.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the board.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

idontgotoFC wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:Glad to hear you've escaped. Welcome to reality and sanity. I'm a none, but my wife is a Methodist. They're pretty cool and most importantly they aren't legalistic...and the music in their services is spectacular. 8-)

Thanks! I've been avoiding church for a while now, but I've definitely felt drawn to the Episcopal Church, so not too far from the Methodists. It seems like a total 360°from the coC in most ways. I visited at the Episcopal Church near me a few times - I loved the liturgy and how they don't judge anyone. Plus, I'm fairly on board with their theology (or lack thereof?). It seems like a good place for me to land while I try to figure out things after officially exiting.

Yep, that's a good choice. ;)
flawed

Post by flawed »

Welcome!
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex board!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome. I also fled the non-institutional COC. I was lucky to miss Florida College because I was far away in Texas. I have never regretted my departure, but things were difficult with relatives for a while. Eventually, they got over it.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages