New to the group - hello

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Armyvet85

New to the group - hello

Post by Armyvet85 »

I'm new to the group and found it quite by accident. I was awakened by a hurting tooth and jaw and couldn't go back to sleep. I am so tired I don't remember how or why I found this group but I am an ex-CoC myself. I didn't leave due to disenchantment but to find a place that my wife wouldn't fall asleep during service. She too was raised CoC like me but having had Christian schooling from kindergarten through a college degree. I did public school through 12th grade but most of my undergrad at a CoC affiliated college. I think my wife's background being so consistently in a church related setting and her being very smart she ultimately began to be bored hearing the same themes over and over on Sunday mornings. Had it not been for her falling asleep regularly on Sunday mornings I would have probably continued on as a CoC member. We found a non-denominational church that we were both comfortable with and never looked back. Both our families are all still CoC but my parents initially withdrew from us for a while. They eventually caved and although we do not attend a CoC they have learned to accept it.

I did not realize until I had been away from CoC so long how much I had accepted most of the traditional CoC teachings without question. As I began to study the Bible by setting aside preconceived beliefs it was then my blinders gradually came off. I don't consider what I believe now to be radically different but I'm sure my parents and other hardliners might disagree. I have a sister who remains in the CoC but she and I have very similar perspectives on the Bible. Our conversations have spurred us both on to new understandings. My basic philosophy biblically speaking is based on Galatians 5 and the freedom we were given as Christians. Mix that with a Libertarian philosophy which to me is live and let live and that describes me pretty much. I may not necessarily agree with a particular person on a particular interpretation but I respect the person's right to have that opinion and will not degrade them simply because I disagree. I don't think CoC is the only group that is tough on people as I've heard many friends relate similar issues in their churches.Through much personal study I have come to different conclusions on many things like end-times (eschatology), communion, musical instruments in worship and much more. I once believed that each "sin" required praying for forgiveness and felt a constant in and out of salvation which I no longer feel. I am confident where I will spend eternity and feel much more at peace with my relationship with God than I did just a couple of decades ago.

I am happy to humbly share my thoughts freely on pretty much any biblical topic with anyone who may be searching for answers after deciding to look outside the CoC for where to land. I don't have all the answers but I might be able to help find some answers. I think this page is a great idea for those struggling with the legalism many of us have been a part of and/or subjected to.
Shrubbery

Re: New to the group - hello

Post by Shrubbery »

Welcome! I have to laugh at the falling asleep. That's been my problem as well... I've heard everything over and over and over again for 20 years. They're not saying anything new. And now that I disagree with all of it, it's even worse. :P
agricola

Post by agricola »

We have people here who actually LISTEN to sermons, can you imagine? I was starting to doze off in church by 15.

Welcome to the ex-board, and do feel free to browse around.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

agricola wrote:We have people here who actually LISTEN to sermons, can you imagine? I was starting to doze off in church by 15.
I didn't listen to sermons as a kid either. As an adult, I had the attention span.

Oh how I long to be a kid again some days... :lol:
KLP

Post by KLP »

welcome to the board
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Glad to have you here.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages