If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
brighteyesalw

Post by brighteyesalw »

I joined this group over 10 years ago, but I can't remember my username or email address... Back then I had recently left the church after being a part of it my entire life. It was difficult, but necessary. I was severely depressed and bulimic; the bulimia was a direct result of hating myself for growing into a woman: I had a feeling of wrongness and inadequacy my entire life growing up in the church. My purpose in life was to be a wife and mother- that is all. I was also a pretty bright kid, so I had conflicting messages and goals growing up. I don't regret leaving the church-- I left and never looked back. However, I realize I haven't really dealt with things from my past. My family is still involved in the church, so I am an outsider. I have a wonderful husband who is best described as agnostic: he just doesn't care about religion. But I have these ties to this church, it left its scars, and I want to confront old problems, maybe help others in the process.
Cootie Brown

Re: New member

Post by Cootie Brown »

Hello and welcome back. Sadly your story isn't unique. Christianity definitely has a dark side. Like your husband I am no longer a believer either but probably for different reasons. I hope you find this site helpful.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I hear you about the 'realizing' that I hadn't actually dealt with things - over twenty years after getting out, I realized I was still 'dealing' by the time-honored method of 'not thinking about it'! Time and past time to resolve some things.

This site was a big help.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

Welcome! It's amazing how long it can take to deal with the coc feelings. I'm still in the beginning stages, myself. I'm at least lucky to have not grown up in the church. But even joining it as an adult, it messes with the mind.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome!! So glad you decided to give the board another try.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I remember a woman posting here years ago who said she had to fight bulimia. Perhaps that was you. Were you the lady who said her parents were going to try to take her kids away because you left the church of christ?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
flawed

Post by flawed »

Welcome back, so happy you found your husband. To my family’s horror, my husband is also agnostic.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome back! :D
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages