Newbie, Changing Denominations

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
CosplayJunkie85

Newbie, Changing Denominations

Post by CosplayJunkie85 »

Hello!

I have been looking for a group like this for quite sometime. I was baptized in the coc in 2000 at age 14. Years have gone by (32) and there were things about coc that really left a bad taste in my mouth. It is now time for me to leave coc. I have visited other denominations before and have done tons of self-searching on what denomination fits me quietly because I don’t want to tell my parents just yet (who want me to die as a coc member). It’s not like I am leaving the faith, I am going to another denomination. I have been giving my tithes and offerings to another church and I did not want to give to my former church for a long time. I am moving away from my family next year in May to another state, so the transition will be easier. Has anyone here moved on to another denomination? What did your family and friends think?
Ivy

Re: Newbie, Changing Denominations

Post by Ivy »

Welcome!! Yes, many of us have moved on to other paths. So glad you found us, and I think you will find many kindred spirits here.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Pretty much everybody here has moved on. Some to other Christian denominations. Some to non-Christian faiths. Some to no faith at all.

Usually about this point, we recommend that people check out the most recent Handbook of Denominations in the US:

https://smile.amazon.com/Handbook-Denom ... ominations
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
CosplayJunkie85

Ivy wrote:Welcome!! Yes, many of us have moved on to other paths. So glad you found us, and I think you will find many kindred spirits here.
Thank you so much for your sweet comment!
CosplayJunkie85

agricola wrote:Pretty much everybody here has moved on. Some to other Christian denominations. Some to non-Christian faiths. Some to no faith at all.

Usually about this point, we recommend that people check out the most recent Handbook of Denominations in the US:

https://smile.amazon.com/Handbook-Denom ... ominations
Thanks for the handbook suggestion, but I have already mentioned that I’ve visited other denominations and have an idea on what Christian denomination to worship next. I am talking about those who moved on to other Christian denominations, because their situation is more relatable to mines. Something else I forgot to mention, my former coc pastor’s daughter left to a different denomination two years ago. It was shocking because she was so for that faith and to see her leave was wow. He would spend all Sunday telling us to stay in the coc denomination when he’s probably not even trying to have his own daughter stay (maybe).

This place is unique because not too many people talk about changing denominations and want to share their story. I do however, read tons of stories on how Christians become ex-Christians or move on to non-Christian faiths. That’s fine for them. I would love to hear of those in the same situation a I am because I am going through it.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Check out the 'New Paths' discussion areas - there is one for ex-coc'ers who have changed Christian denominations, and another for those who have changed to a different faith altogether or none. The forums include educational/question answering threads.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the board.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome to the board. I visited several types of churches after I left the COC. I found a home in the United Methodist Church. I had to find a place where there was no requirement for everyone to believe the same on every issue. I also like the Episcopal Church, but there isn’t one in my small town.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
CosplayJunkie85

teresa wrote:Welcome to the board.
Thank you! :)
CosplayJunkie85

Moogy wrote:Welcome to the board. I visited several types of churches after I left the COC. I found a home in the United Methodist Church. I had to find a place where there was no requirement for everyone to believe the same on every issue. I also like the Episcopal Church, but there isn’t one in my small town.
Thanks for sharing! I am moving, so it makes it easier for me to change and start fresh with my life without inputs from the family or making me feel guilty. I agree, I am tired of the coc denomination. Glad you were able to find your new spiritual home. :)