Ex CoC member and PK

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
ologist

Ex CoC member and PK

Post by ologist »

Hello everyone,

I formally left the church as a teen over a decade ago. My father was a minister for most of my youth (fills in for other preachers now, rather than serving a specific congregation).

Doubt was festering in me at a pretty young age, but I shared with my family my doubts starting at age 16. The church and my family formally withdrew fellowship from me when I was 18. It has had some pretty huge impacts emotionally and mentally, which I'm sure many of you can relate to. Therapy related to Religious Trauma Syndrome has helped me make sense of a lot of it, and has been greatly beneficial. Someone I dated was a disowned member of an Anabaptist cult community, and so we were able to help each other make sense of the impacts growing up the way we did had on our psyche.

Now, many many years later, I know I am in the right place. But I still struggle with my family dynamics, as well as pestering feelings of guilt, anxiety, and abandonment. I also know what it is like to go through this process, and the fear and courage it takes to stand up for what you believe in despite very real consequences. I hope I am able to give back to the community in any way I can, and offer support to those going through struggles with the transition out of their faith.

Thank you!
Ivy

Re: Ex CoC member and PK

Post by Ivy »

Welcome, ologist!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board!
Feel free to browse around - and resurrecting old threads is just fine (posting on a much older thread).
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the board.
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

Been there (PK) not done that. I have migrated from CoC to a more traditional church. One which actually studies real church history. Welcome!
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages