Rebooting

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Ivy

Re: Rebooting

Post by Ivy »

Lerk wrote:
B.H. wrote:I think it was Kierkgard who concluded reason is subject to emotion. We emotivate first and then use reason to figure out a way to satisfy what we emotivated about.
That’s Church of Christ theology in a nutshell! 1) Notice something, like “there don’t seem to be miracles today.” 2) Search the scriptures to find a proof text for the thing noticed, (e.g. “where there are tongues, they shall cease”).
Exactly, Lerk. "If we don't see it, it's not there"....then find a proof text.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I think they believe miracles ceased because if they were going on only the church of christ would be g aging themboccurr and not other denominations.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:I think they believe miracles ceased because if they were going on only the church of christ would be g aging themboccurr and not other denominations.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you nailed it, BH.

When I was a young girl (maybe age 12 or so) I visited a pentecostal church with our next door neighbor. I was fascinated to hear them "speak in tongues". I asked our preacher at the time about the
speaking in tongues thing, since it is clearly in the bible. He just answered me with a curt "The bible says tongues shall cease". That may have been when I first started leaving the cofc, come to think of it.
There were things going on in the religious world that the cofc was arrogantly blowing off...with no adequate reason that I could see.
Opie

Post by Opie »

If I were a Pentecostal I would certainly like to ask the CoC to explain "how can you even talk about biblical Christianity and claim to be The One True Church while at the same time completely ignoring and neglecting the work and power of the Holy Spirit?"
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Opie wrote:If I were a Pentecostal I would certainly like to ask the CoC to explain "how can you even talk about biblical Christianity and claim to be The One True Church while at the same time completely ignoring and neglecting the work and power of the Holy Spirit?"
Opie, you make an excellent point. The cofc wants to confine the Holy Spirit to the pages of a book...or so it seemed to me.