Rebooting

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Cootie Brown

Rebooting

Post by Cootie Brown »

I don't remember when I made my last post, but it's been awhile. Ivy responded to a post I'd made and what she said hit home. I don't remember her exact words but basically what she said was that it wasn't my place, or job, to correct what other people believe. I thought about that for awhile and decided she was right. What she said didn't make me angry, but it did make me think. Thanks Ivy you are a sweet, sweet, lady I appreciate you giving me a metaphorical kick in the rear.

I realized I'd become a militant atheists, but had convinced myself I was just attempting to educate people. Well, that part was true, but my passion had turned into something dark and ugly. I've been on this site in one form or another since 2005. I come to feel like Teresa and Agricola have become person friends. They are definitely two people that I deeply respect, even though we don't agree on much of anything.

I understand Teresa's intent for this site but it conflicts with my agenda. And I accept the reality that I do have an agenda. Teresa is revealing the positive side of Christianity, and I am definitely revealing the dark side of religion, or what I sincerely believe is the dark side of religion. I don't like to use the word atheist, because religious people seem to go berserk when they hear that word, but that is what I am. That noted there is no reason for me to be a militant atheists aka a [derogatory term] about what people believe.

Lots of different versions of Christianity are represented on this site, even a nice and friendly Muslim (that I like). There are also a few atheists too, but they tend to be mostly inactive and I understand why.

The problem for me is how can I contribute anything positive when I hold such a different world view? That is a question that remains to be explored. And it may prove to be that I can't. I'll just have to see. So, I'm going to reboot and see what happens. If things don't seem to be headed down a positive path I will trust my friend Ivy to inform me that she's opened the back door and suggest I slip out quietly, and to be careful to not let it hit me in my butt on the way out.
;)
Ivy

Re: Rebooting

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:I don't remember when I made my last post, but it's been awhile. Ivy responded to a post I'd made and what she said hit home. I don't remember her exact words but basically what she said was that it wasn't my place, or job, to correct what other people believe. I thought about that for awhile and decided she was right. What she said didn't make me angry, but it did make me think. Thanks Ivy you are a sweet, sweet, lady I appreciate you giving me a metaphorical kick in the rear.

I realized I'd become a militant atheists, but had convinced myself I was just attempting to educate people. Well, that part was true, but my passion had turned into something dark and ugly. I've been on this site in one form or another since 2005. I come to feel like Teresa and Agricola have become person friends. They are definitely two people that I deeply respect, even though we don't agree on much of anything.

I understand Teresa's intent for this site but it conflicts with my agenda. And I accept the reality that I do have an agenda. Teresa is revealing the positive side of Christianity, and I am definitely revealing the dark side of religion, or what I sincerely believe is the dark side of religion. I don't like to use the word atheist, because religious people seem to go berserk when they hear that word, but that is what I am. That noted there is no reason for me to be a militant atheists aka a a**hole about what people believe.

Lots of different versions of Christianity are represented on this site, even a nice and friendly Muslim (that I like). There are also a few atheists too, but they tend to be mostly inactive and I understand why.

The problem for me is how can I contribute anything positive when I hold such a different world view? That is a question that remains to be explored. And it may prove to be that I can't. I'll just have to see. So, I'm going to reboot and see what happens. If things don't seem to be headed down a positive path I will trust my friend Ivy to inform me that she's opened the back door and suggest I slip out quietly, and to be careful to not let it hit me in my butt on the way out.
;)
:lol:

Well thank you for the kind words, Cootie. You definitely have a lot to contribute here; never doubt that. As I get older I seem to have less and less of a filter. Mama used to say that the "___________________s (Ivy's paternal extended family) are plain spoken", and she meant not in a good way.....LOL!! Also....it's not Sister Ivy's place to suggest that you leave out the back door!! :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Good to see you again!

I too, have very conflicting emotions about how I have come to understand things. I file 13 religion altogether several years ago and just tried to default to being a good person.

In my quest to understand all the goop I grew up with and all the twists and turns of CoC doctrines and practices lead me to Aristotelian thinking and boy how have I enjoyed living in the real world. It is quite interesting but like you comes with pitfalls when it comes to interacting with other people. Not to be all political or even all religious, it is interesting to me now how so many people have so many different views about what they believe and why it is that they don't respond to reason. Reason defined as the art of non-contradictory logic. Funny enough, Orthodoxy has helped me with pride and humility and I don't tend to be so quick to get angry about people's lack of application or my perceived lack of reason.

Nevertheless, Welcome back and keep us all thinking! If we are afraid of a little cogitation and reassessment of our own beliefs then maybe we should just go our way and keep the blinders on. BTW, I think Teresa, Agricola and Ivy are way too polite to show you the back door much less advocate for it hitting you in the butt on the way out :lol:

Good to see my friend!
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I've examined enough psychology to understand why logic, reason, & evidence doesn't resonate with people that have what are basically emotionally held beliefs. I've come to accept, that as long as those beliefs aren't harmful, and they give the believer some level of peace in their life, it's no one else's business what they believe.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

What a relief it is to see you here! I was afraid you might have gotten very sick or even died. :cry: I read one of the books you recommended and posted a little review. When you never responded I began to worry. I will find the thread and bump it so you can find it more easily.
Let’s kill the fatted calf and have a party. The prodigal has returned! :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Moogy wrote:What a relief it is to see you here! I was afraid you might have gotten very sick or even died. :cry: I read one of the books you recommended and posted a little review. When you never responded I began to worry. I will find the thread and bump it so you can find it more easily.
Missed you too. I will acknowledge I have a secret crush on you and Ivy. You are two very sweet and wise ladies. ;)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:
Moogy wrote:What a relief it is to see you here! I was afraid you might have gotten very sick or even died. :cry: I read one of the books you recommended and posted a little review. When you never responded I began to worry. I will find the thread and bump it so you can find it more easily.
Missed you too. I will acknowledge I have a secret crush on you and Ivy. You are two very sweet and wise ladies. ;)
Aww...thank you Cootie!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Cootie Brown wrote:I've examined enough psychology to understand why logic, reason, & evidence doesn't resonate with people that have what are basically emotionally held beliefs. I've come to accept, that as long as those beliefs aren't harmful, and they give the believer some level of peace in their life, it's no one else's business what they believe.

I think it was Kierkgard who concluded reason is subject to emotion. We emotivate first and then use reason to figure out a way to satisfy what we emotivated about. People have different goals, some different interests and priorities. Your "reason" will appear awkward and unreasonable at times to others with different priorities and goals. Also, it is said women think irrationally and men rationally. I do not think this is true. If you stop and talk to women about what is important and why they are very rational once you figure out what is important to them.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

We are a rationalizing species - and we are very good at it, too!

Welcome back.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

B.H. wrote:I think it was Kierkgard who concluded reason is subject to emotion. We emotivate first and then use reason to figure out a way to satisfy what we emotivated about.
That’s Church of Christ theology in a nutshell! 1) Notice something, like “there don’t seem to be miracles today.” 2) Search the scriptures to find a proof text for the thing noticed, (e.g. “where there are tongues, they shall cease”).