Recently left a Tulsa, Oklahoma COC

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
TornTornado

Recently left a Tulsa, Oklahoma COC

Post by TornTornado »

I just left a Tulsa, Oklahoma Church Of Christ 4 months ago and almost completely cut off from them since November after being in it for a little over a year. I mainly left cause I couldn't agree with their beliefs, but also cause they were showing cultish tendencies and were playing favorites.I was originally raised in the Assembly Of God church in Oklahoma and my faith probably more closely relates to their beliefs than Church Of Christ. I was mainly a part of a Campus Ministry called Campus Ministries United that is a part of the COC I went to. I was emotionally abused and confused the whole entire time I was there no matter how many questions I asked. I am happy to have found this website and online community.
zeek

Re: Recently left a Tulsa, Oklahoma COC

Post by zeek »

Welcome. It is good that you were only in coC for one year. The hooks couldn't penetrate very deeply and you likely didn't absorb very much of the poison. I would expect you to recover fully and quickly from this unfortunate life experience.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Welcome aboard! Glad that you "got out"!
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome, and take your time figuring out where you want to go from here. Time in a cultish church can warp your mind! I will say that not every COC is cultish, but many of them are.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Welcome, to the board. Hopefully the short time with these folk will wear off of them and they will leave you alone soon. Kind of a didn't stick thing in their reasoning which could bring a quick end to the pestering. Best wishes.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the board! Feel free to browse around the forums and see if you find what helps.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.