I know what to do, just not how

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
chingy79

I know what to do, just not how

Post by chingy79 »

Hello, everyone! I hope I'm posting this in the right place. These forums always confuse me. :D

I am 39, born and raised coc. My husband is in the same boat, he is 43. My dad is a preacher and so is my brother. Back in the 70's, my in-laws played an integral role in "establishing" the coc here in the small town where we live (my husband was born and raised here).

A few years ago while attending the coc here where we live, I fell into a deep depression and also experienced major social anxiety. We would be in the car on our way to services and my chest would become tight and heavy and my breathing would become shallow. Just thinking about being in a church setting (or any other social situation for that matter) brought me to tears. This is why I stopped attending at the beginning. My husband was ever-so patient with me, never pushing me and always being supportive. He is definitely my salvation and rock on this earth. It was a very dark time. I prayed for death almost daily. I remember one night in particular, looking at myself in the bathroom mirror and wanting so badly to hang myself with the towel that was draped across the shower rod. I prayed to Him, and begged Him to take that thought away. My prayers at that point had evolved into full-blown conversations laced with accusations and asking him why. I had isolated myself from my family. My brother and sister were "done" with me at one point, but not because I did anything to them. They took my depression personally. Like so many in the coc, I experienced wrath instead of patience and understanding from even my own flesh and blood. While I was away, I still prayed and was in the Word even more than I was while I was attending. I have always questioned certain teachings and doctrines of the church, but kept them to myself. During this time away, I truly experienced His Spirit for the first time. He revealed to me just how messed up the coc as a whole is and how far from the NT church they really are.

Just to give you a little background of my struggles with mental illness, I have been on some combination of anti-depressant/anti-anxiety/anti-psychotic meds since I was 17. I was diagnosed with bipolar II disorder when I was 27. For several years, I also became dependent on alcohol. I never prayed to Him about this darkness that plagued me. I was taught He doesn't work that way anymore, so I just accepted it until last year. I finally prayed to Him for healing and I believed that He would. In June, I slowly weaned myself off of my meds (my husband was aware and very watchful) and although it was rough for a few months, I have finally experienced clarity like I never have before. At last, I see things as they truly are. I haven't had a suicidal thought in months and I believe He has healed that in me. I have had a few panic attacks, but nothing like I had before. People actually see the difference in me and I give Him all the glory.

My husband eventually stopped attending the coc in our town as well and in February of last year, we were withdrawn from via letter. In April of last year, we began attending the coc where my brother preaches, which is about a half hour drive from our house. I won't go into the history, but we had attended there years before. We were told that it was different now, and at first it seemed that way. They are considered liberal by many of the conservatives in our area, but they are still a coc. They still twist the scriptures to support their false teachings. Not only that, but my husband and I have experienced some of their hatefulness since we've been "back". Just last Sunday when we weren't there, my brother made some snide comments about us in front of the church. We have been pretty sick for the past couple of weeks, but that doesn't matter to them. All they care about is the pew being filled.

I know what we have to do and I have known for some time. We have to leave, I just don't know how. There are two options. 1.) Just stop going without explanation. 2.) Let them know why we are leaving, but that we hold no resentment against them (we really don't- I have already forgiven my brother for what he said and I do not hold it against him). The latter option seems like the way to go, but honestly I don't know if I'm ready for the repercussions. I can't predict the future, but I do know the past behavior of the church when people leave because I have witnessed it firsthand.

If you pray, please say a prayer for my husband and I. If you have any words of wisdom or comfort to offer, please share them. I am open-minded and willing to look at this from every angle, even if it hurts.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good.
agricola

Re: I know what to do, just not how

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board.
It can be hard - very hard - to leave the coc , especially with family issues, especially in a small town.
Are you open to simply staying home and studying/worshiping together for a while?
To learning more about normal mainstream Christian thought? (believe me, the coc does NOT teach that- or at least, doesn't do it very well).
Are there other churches/congregations in your area you might feel like you could try?

You are not alone, you really are not.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Chingy

Welcome to the board. It sounds like you are in a really tough spot.

One of the hardest things that happened to my husband and I is that we were essentially kicked out of the conservative CoC and we lost our CoC friends. My husband's parents withdrew from him and marked him as a false teacher. So we felt very alone, although we had one CoC friend who was a comfort to us through that painful time. In retrospect, it might have helped if we could have developed relationships with others outside the CoC in advance of our leaving, so we would not have felt so alone.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I’m sorry you are experiencing so much trauma in your life. I hope things will soon get better for you and your loved ones. Your story is all too familiar to many of us former c of C members.

Leaving the c of C is never easy, whatever you ultimately decide to do I hope it eventually makes your life better.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

It's obvious to me that you and your husband are both seekers who are being drawn, and you especially possess a very forgiving, and therefore gracious spirit. It is a sad testimony to the CofC IMO that they have placed themselves far from the grace of God, let alone from even a rational conceptualization of it. I very much believe your journey will be a very eventful and enriching one and will be praying for the same for you all.
chingy79

Post by chingy79 »

Thank you for your kind words. We have a few friends on the outside, but not many. I have one friend that goes to the congregation I go to and she knows I am contemplating leaving and is totally supportive. She is staying for now, though.

I'm sorry you felt so alone when you left. That's what I fear-- and losing my family. As messed up as their belief system is, I love them dearly and don't want to lose them. However, I know it's time to leave. I'm just at a loss as to how, if that makes sense. Sure, we could just stop going. We've done it before, but never have we said we're not coming back. And I think it's time to be honest and let them know up front. It's just scary.
teresa wrote:Chingy

Welcome to the board. It sounds like you are in a really tough spot.

One of the hardest things that happened to my husband and I is that we were essentially kicked out of the conservative CoC and we lost our CoC friends. My husband's parents withdrew from him and marked him as a false teacher. So we felt very alone, although we had one CoC friend who was a comfort to us through that painful time. In retrospect, it might have helped if we could have developed relationships with others outside the CoC in advance of our leaving, so we would not have felt so alone.
chingy79

Post by chingy79 »

I really appreciate your kindness. From what little I have read on here, my experience is unfortunately very common. And like you said, leaving is not easy. I know it won't be, but I do feel like it will be worth it.
Cootie Brown wrote:I’m sorry you are experiencing so much trauma in your life. I hope things will soon get better for you and your loved ones. Your story is all too familiar to many of us former c of C members.

Leaving the c of C is never easy, whatever you ultimately decide to do I hope it eventually makes your life better.
chingy79

Post by chingy79 »

Thank you so much for your positive words. Yes, we are seekers and it is clear that the coc is, like you said, far from His grace. When you start studying honestly for yourself and rely on His spirit to reveal His truth, their misuse and twisting of the scriptures becomes glaringly obvious. I'm not the judge, thankfully. He will deal with them how He will.

Thank you so much for your prayers. I believe in the power of the prayers of those who have faith.
SolaDude wrote:It's obvious to me that you and your husband are both seekers who are being drawn, and you especially possess a very forgiving, and therefore gracious spirit. It is a sad testimony to the CofC IMO that they have placed themselves far from the grace of God, let alone from even a rational conceptualization of it. I very much believe your journey will be a very eventful and enriching one and will be praying for the same for you all.
chingy79

Post by chingy79 »

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for your support. I am expecting it to be difficult, like you said-- which is why I have put it off for so long and have tried to talk myself into staying. It would be easier that way for sure, but damning to my soul at the same time and I'm no longer willing to do that.

agricola wrote:Welcome to the ex-board.
It can be hard - very hard - to leave the coc , especially with family issues, especially in a small town.
Are you open to simply staying home and studying/worshiping together for a while?
To learning more about normal mainstream Christian thought? (believe me, the coc does NOT teach that- or at least, doesn't do it very well).
Are there other churches/congregations in your area you might feel like you could try?

You are not alone, you really are not.
GraceFaith

Post by GraceFaith »

Hello there. I'm new to this space, but I'd like to know how things turned out for you. Have you left yet?