Hi all

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Sheba

Hi all

Post by Sheba »

I was on this board several years ago. I am at peace in my life now and just remembered how this site helped me. I didn't post a lot, but I sure did read a lot. I came here today because I had run across an online sermon by the cofC about hand clapping and how sinful it is. I don't know why, but I listened to the entire thing. Just steaming. After all these years of not hearing that kind of thing, it brought back so many memories of why I am glad I am not in that place anymore. Anyway, it reminded me of this group, and I thought I would pay some visits. Love out to all.
FinallyFree

Re: Hi all

Post by FinallyFree »

Welcome back! The no clapping thing is crazy! I am glad I go to a church now where you can express your feelings and show joy. The services I grew up with were the pits!
Sheba

Post by Sheba »

It is so insane. There is no reasoning to it at all. The guy was saying that it sounds like an instrument, so it is sin. I know I grew up in this, but when you are out for a while, it still blows you away to hear this nonsense. I get so furious. But.....then I get really sad for all these people, many who are silently hating it, but not knowing what to do. The brainwashing is so hard to overcome. Even when one comes to a point where they don't believe, there is still that tiny voice saying, but what if they are right. It takes time for that to go away, but when it does FREEDOM, and joy to really live a life with love.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Sheba wrote:It is so insane. There is no reasoning to it at all. The guy was saying that it sounds like an instrument, so it is sin. I know I grew up in this, but when you are out for a while, it still blows you away to hear this nonsense. I get so furious. But.....then I get really sad for all these people, many who are silently hating it, but not knowing what to do. The brainwashing is so hard to overcome. Even when one comes to a point where they don't believe, there is still that tiny voice saying, but what if they are right. It takes time for that to go away, but when it does FREEDOM, and joy to really live a life with love.
What you’re experiencing actually has a name. It’s call Religious Traumatic Syndrome. It often takes years for people, who have left a legalistic form of Christianity, to recover and get the teachings and beliefs they were exposed too out of their mind.

And there are some folks that never fully recover from those experiences and environment. It’s probability good that you have come back to this site. It’s good for you to be around folks that understand what you’ve experienced.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Hi, welcome back.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Hi Sheba!! Welcome back!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Hi Sheba!

Isn't it funny how you think you are just fine, and then - YEARS later - some random reminder pops up, and there you are again....?

I have found, though, that as time goes by, those reminders are fewer and fewer, and you get over them a LOT faster (thank God).
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Sheba

Post by Sheba »

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes!
FCOCER

Post by FCOCER »

Hello Sheba. Clap clap clap.
Sheba

Post by Sheba »

:D :D :D :D :D