My story of leaving the coC

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
GraceFaith

My story of leaving the coC

Post by GraceFaith »

Hello, all. I'm new here.
First off: sorry that this post is lengthy. I've got a lot I've been holding onto... ;)
Secondly: my husband has encouraged me to "talk" to someone, whether it be in a support group or an actual therapist. I decided to start here.

Nearly seven months ago my husband and I (with our three young children) left the coC, and it was very ugly. Very hurtful. We lost literally everyone in our lives. Here's our story:

My husband was raised coC. I was raised in a Pentecostal/Assemblies of God church - and before you ask or assume anything ;) the church I grew up in was VERY mild, very orderly, nothing "crazy". My grandpa was the preacher there for 42 years, and is still on staff. My husband's father passed away when he was a freshman in college, so it was just his mom, his younger brother and sister, and him. His mother is very much what many would consider "hard core" coC. Her local congregation is very dogmatic in what they believe, teach, and allow others to believe. I came into the picture, and my husband (then boyfriend) had Bible studies with me. He basically convinced me that I needed to be re-baptized, and we needed to attend the coC once we got married.
Everything coC was VERY new to me, but I dove in and tried my hardest to study and get to know people. For fifteen years, I quietly listened to sermon after sermon about doctrine, I listened to one person after another state that "God doesn't work like that anymore" and "this is what such and such religion believes", I went to class after class about modesty, and I spent more than ten of those fifteen years trying to keep my three children quiet and complicit during services (of which there were three that we were very "encouraged" to always attend), which led to my spiritual decline. I admittedly became very tired of church services. Going to services became a chore, and I knew that's not how anyone should feel about going to worship. I also didn't ever fully buy in to everything the coC taught. Things like grace and mercy were severely lacking, and I never could understand why so many simple things (such as whether or not a person could have a glass of water with them during services, or whether or not the kids could have a slide to play on when services were over) were turned into these MASSIVE exhausting ordeals. But I stood by my husband, I made very deep and what I thought to be real friendships, and I kept my disagreements with things to myself (for the most part).

After a while, though, I saw a shift happen in my husband's VERY hard core ideals. He began to see things differently than most of the people we worshipped with. He began to challenge his mother on some things. And then one day it's like it all came together for both of us, and we knew we couldn't stay in the coC any longer. We couldn't get our convictions to line up with what our church was teaching. We spent more than a year and a half quietly praying and making this decision. It wasn't one we took lightly.

When we finally decided to leave, we wanted to do it differently than most others who had left before us. Before, when people had left, they would just be gone. Poof. Vanished. And the elders would read a letter from the pulpit stating that they no longer wanted fellowship with us. That should have been it. But people are people, and they like to talk. So many things would be said in regards to the people who had left, and it never sat well with me. I even ashamedly joined in some "gatherings" with fellow ladies of the congregation a time or two in order to "encourage" people who had fallen away to come back. I have always regretted acting in that way. Anyway ~ We wanted to meet face to face with our closest friends, and let them know our reasons. We wanted to be open, because we knew they'd have many questions. So that's what we did. And that blew up in our faces. These people we thought we could be open with ran with what they *heard* rather than what we actually said, things were repeated/shared with the elders in a way that made us seem like we were on the rampage and wanted to tear down the entire congregation. And our meeting with our elders to tell them our decision didn't go well either. One was visibly angry, demanded answers for things that weren't simple, and we left that meeting pretty frustrated and wishing things had gone better, but honestly... they just made our decision to leave even easier.

Fast forward four days, and we received a letter in an email from the elders during Wednesday night services. They also read this letter aloud to the congregation. Not one of them tried to contact us or speak to us before making their decision to shun us. It was two pages long, accusing (mainly my husband) of numerous things that they hadn't even spoken with him about. Many of the things we were accused of weren't even true and were never uttered from our mouths. We were accused of having severe superiority, pride, intolerance, and that we were incredibly selfish. We were told we were in a condition that "upsets the Lord", and that we should ask God for forgiveness and help. And that they were instructing their flock to avoid us. Since then, every single person in that congregation, save for three or four (who will only talk to us via social media, but can't have relationships with us "in person"), have completely cut ties with us. And that includes the people we truly believed to be our DEAREST and closest friends. Our children lost every single one of the friends they had ever known in their whole lives, simply because we decided to go to a different church.

I'd like to add that we had told the elders, and the handful of people we had conversations with, that our leaving in no way meant we wanted to cut ties. We were happy to have people over, to talk to them and tell them why we left (though not in as much detail as we had given our "closest friends"), and to still maintain relationships. We also met with the elders a second time, after we received their letter, and my husband apologized for a few things that he said in our first meeting that he knew weren't kind. We were trying to be at peace so far as it depended on us. We were told forgiveness had been extended, but we didn't receive any explanation for their lack of communication with us, or for anything hurtful they had done. Nor did they let the congregation know that said meeting had occurred (and I know this because of contact we still have with a select few that still attend there).

ALL of this just to say...

If you are thinking of leaving the coC, I will tell you right now --- there is no easy way or right way to do it. There is ZERO reason that you can give that is acceptable to people in that church. Zero. Your desire to go elsewhere will result in losing many many dear friends, if not all of them, and will possibly put strain on familial relationships with people still in the coC. Should you choose to leave, you will find that many of your friendships are/were conditional. They're based on you being a member of their congregation. I mean, we were told (by an elder, no less) that "there's not another sound church within a hundred miles of here". (Talk about PRIDE... good grief.)

We have had to completely start fresh. We've found a new church family that we feel God TRULY did lead us to (I could go on and on about specific answered prayers in that regard), and we are building some really great faith-based friendships. Unconditional ones.
I had to pray away a LOT of anger in those months after we left. I didn't want to speak to ANYONE from that congregation. I could feel myself wanting to turn to hating some of them. But I wouldn't allow Satan that piece of my heart. I had to learn to forgive, even without an inkling of an apology from anyone.

I guess my main reason for joining this community is to know that I'm not alone. And to encourage others where they need it. Maybe my story is similar to others' stories. Maybe we can grow and move forward via these support boards...

Thanks for listening. :)
Cootie Brown

Re: My story of leaving the coC

Post by Cootie Brown »

Your story is a rather typical exit story. Details vary but the basic elements are pretty much the same with everyone that leaves the c of C. Expect and prepare to be harassed. That is inevitable and your social structure will be destroyed. These kind of issues are just the normal things people experience when they leave the c of C.

Expect your life to be in turmoil for a long time. Leaving the c of C is unfortunately quite similar to leaving a cult. I personally believe the c of C, at least the hard line version, is a cult. Others disagree with that but I can’t imagine why. I think there is plenty of evidence to confirm that.

You have to really want to leave the c of C to get out because they won’t let you go without a fight. My advice, based on years of experience. Make a clean cut. Do not agree to meet with the Elders or other members who want to save your soul.

Do write a letter, for legal reasons, informing the Elders that you are withdrawing your membership from that congregation and the Churches of Christ. At that point they have no legal authority over you. It’s important that you do that other wise you are legally still under their authority.

Prepared for your life to be a living hell for awhile, but this too shall pass in time. Congrats on your decision to leave the c of C.

And do hang around here for support. We get it. We’ve been there, done that, and got the tee shirt. And a belated welcome aboard. This site should be helpful, glad you found it. :D

Oops, I missed the last part. So, ignore everything I posted you already know all of that, and welcome aboard once again. :oops: :D
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

What a very tragic thing for you and your family to go through, especially your children, GraceFaith. I cannot imagine such "conditional" relationships all around you. I applaud you for reaching out to discussion boards such as this and encourage you to see now what's really out there with your own eyes. But I hope that as time goes by you will find a grace-oriented, i.e., Christ-centric church as compared to the works-oriented, water baptism-centric theology you have been living in. The difference is night and day. Especially when you hear a salvation by grace through faith sermon for the first time.....something you will never hear in the CofC. The works salvation of the CofC is necessarily accompanied by paranoid leaders who want to point fingers, judge, condemn, and speak in the name of God. All of that feeds their bloviated, self-righteous egos, in my opinion. Actually, as I look back at the CofC now, they seem to me to be obsessed with their own self-righteousness, being blind to it, just focused on sin behaviors they can find, create, and attribute to others.

I would just say that there are many grace-oriented Christian groups out there which see our works as a product of salvation and therefore a gift of God rather than as something we must generate within ourselves as a prerequisite to "getting saved" and "staying saved". Salvation by grace through faith not only is just the opposite of the mindset of the CofC, but it is actually shouted out from Genesis to Revelation. In a grace-oriented church I believe you and your family will find the humility, eternal thankfulness and gratefulness, and freedom from guilt and shame that was intended all along for those in Christ. And going forward I will be praying for all of you.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome, welcome to the vast community of EX- CoC members.

It sounds like you did all the right things, and got exactly what the coc delivers to those who choose to leave: anger/fear.

You do know, I suppose, that fear expresses as anger - and the coc is very, very afraid of very, very many things.

They are particularly afraid to be wrong, and when people leave them - when GOOD people leave them! - it is a hint of something dreadfully fear-inducing: THEY COULD BE WRONG.

And, rather than investigating that scary thought, they attack the source of the perceived danger: the people who leave.

It does seem that you have landed in a good place. You have my best wishes!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

GraceFaith
If you are thinking of leaving the coC, I will tell you right now --- there is no easy way or right way to do it. There is ZERO reason that you can give that is acceptable to people in that church. Zero. Your desire to go elsewhere will result in losing many many dear friends, if not all of them, and will possibly put strain on familial relationships with people still in the coC. Should you choose to leave, you will find that many of your friendships are/were conditional.
So very true, and so very sad. My husband was an evangelist in the CoC, and when he started questioning CoC doctrine, his support was immediately cut off without severance pay. We had two children under two years of age, in an area with 40% unemployment, no savings, and no unemployment insurance. I focused on feeling God's loving arms around me, and that helped me be able to release my anger and find compassion for our erstwhile CoC friends and family.

My husband and I hoped for years that if we studied with his parents and siblings, they would come to understand God's grace and love, but it never happened.

Worse yet, my husband's parents made a point of getting our young children (young at the time, they are now grown) alone so that they could tell them that my husband and I were going to hell; the pastor and their friends at the church we were attending were going to hell; and that my children would go to hell too unless they followed CoC doctrine.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Welcome to the board!

Your story is sadly all too familiar. I agree it is a good idea to withdraw in writing. In our experience, and this is just a guess on my part, us leaving took the pressure off of some to feel compelled to question and lecture us back to the "fold" because we cut ties first.

Wish you all the best.
GraceFaith

Post by GraceFaith »

“You do know, I suppose, that fear expresses as anger - and the coc is very, very afraid of very, very many things.

They are particularly afraid to be wrong, and when people leave them - when GOOD people leave them! - it is a hint of something dreadfully fear-inducing: THEY COULD BE WRONG.”
You are so spot on with this!
When we received the two page letter telling us they were withdrawing fellowship (though the elders would later say, “We didn’t disfellowship you. You already left.” >insert major eye roll here< ) , my husbamd’s response was, “They are SO afraid that other people might be affected by our conversations, that others might actually open their eyes and decide to leave, that they have to vilify us in order to make sure everyone thinks we’re the devil.”

And that’s exactly what has happened.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

GraceFaith wrote:“They are SO afraid that other people might be affected by our conversations, that others might actually open their eyes and decide to leave, that they have to vilify us in order to make sure everyone thinks we’re the devil.”

And that’s exactly what has happened.

Absolutely!! Have seen it happen many times. They can't allow you to leave and just be seen as normal people who made an informed, intelligent choice to leave...you must be demonized.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but I assure you that it is worth it to get out and be free.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
GraceFaith

Post by GraceFaith »

Ivy wrote: I'm sorry you are going through this, but I assure you that it is worth it to get out and be free.
We know this. Fully.
From the moment we told people we were leaving, all of their reactions solidified with us that we were making the right decision.
A HUGE weight was lifted off my shoulders.
Freedom in Christ is something so beautiful, and none of them fully experience that, because they live in a world full of rules and regulations and fear.

I actually enjoy reading my Bible now. Because I can read it to understand it for myself rather than reading to try and convince myself of what the coC says is right (which I’ve never been able to fully do). I spent 15 years reading a Bible and not being able to reconcile what I read with what I was being taught, which is what lead to my spiritual decline. I just stopped reading. I felt stuck.

Praise God for the work He did in my husband! Praise God we’re not raising our kids in a church that claims to be the only one following God as they should - aka the church who thinks everyone else outside of their four walls is going to hell. And they can say that they don’t believe that. But they do. They show they believe that way by their actions.

I pray others have the courage to stand up and walk away, too.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

GraceFaith wrote:I pray others have the courage to stand up and walk away, too.
Many have, many will, and many are in the process.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~