A year of healing

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Athena

A year of healing

Post by Athena »

Hi. I'm new here. I found this forum several years ago when I was still working out my struggles within the coC. Though my family left the coC a little over a year ago, I was triggered today, which led me to back to this place again. Let me share my story.

I was born and raised in the conservative/anti- churches of Christ. My parents "converted" to the coC from Baptist upbringings in early adulthood—my Dad was at the university in Gainesville, FL, and was involved in the "Crossroads movement." He's always said he was attracted to the coC bc of its desire for simple Christianity, and was never really comfortable with overt emotionalism or symbolism. It's a personality thing. He is still a member of the coC at large, but he is also a thinker, and has accepted the small box tradition even though, intellectually, he has grown beyond it. It is familiar and he is a creature of habit, and I love and respect him regardless.

When I was in college, he began reading Cecil Hook and Carl Ketcherside. He always loved to have deep conversations. In looking back, I can see quite a lot of frustration and cynicism, and I read these books too and felt the same feelings.

I studied classical languages and culture in college. I went to grad school and was steeped in research as I learned about ancient texts and the process of recovery and translation. I was fascinated by history and always curious about the Christians of other eras...and annoyed that I never heard much about them in the coC. The only Christians I ever learned about were the very earliest ones, and then WE FAITHFUL FEW WHO HAD RESTORED THE FAITH in the modern era. I heard some things about Alexander Campbell and Barton Stone—not a lot, mind you...I had to do my own digging. But the glaring omission of most of Christian history—some 1600 years or so—, as if the true Christians simply went underground for all that time and then reemerged in Kentucky in the 1840's, THAT historical neglect struck me as ignorant at best, self-preserving at worst. It was hard to tell which it was, but I knew that I could not accept it as academically sound.

So, for the sake of intellectual honesty, I acknowledged that I held views heretical to my religious tradition. So I did the reasonable thing: I stuffed 'em deep down, for the sake of maintaining relationships.

For years and years and years, I stuffed. I'd have occasional bouts of frustration, in which, as the years went on, my husband joined me. He also was born and bred coC—descended from coC "royalty" in fact—but he was also becoming more alive to truth and frustrated by unthinking perpetuation of party lines.

The trials of parenthood, the realization of our professional goals, and continual growth as persons over the years finally got us to a point where we realized: the coC is not who we are! It was almost like a lightbulb moment, an awakening, a dawning realization that WE ARE NOT THIS MOLD that we have been trying to fit into all these years. The thought of raising our children in a culture that taught them to swallow so many ridiculous doctrines, not to question the status quo, not to think; looking around at the other families and their conformist, behaviorist child-rearing and realizing "these kids will not accept my kids" and "I don't really like these people anyway...why do I keep trying to fit in with them?"...all this and our embrace of the mystery of the Holy Spirit (oh my goodness, yes, there are things that we cannot explain and so instead of ignoring it or explaining it away, why not open ourselves up to possibility?) led us to leave the church of Christ in April 2018.

It was scary. It was so hard. We had many conversations with individuals and a couple of meetings with the elders. We were warned and exhorted to remain, but our decision was respected as autonomous believers who have the right to do what we believe is best for our family. We didn't try to explain ALL our reasons, bc you know...unless someone has traveled with you, they are not able to understand why you would make this decision, severing yourself from the body. We were general, we held our ground despite the fear-based reasoning we were met with, and then, we left.

It has been a year of grieving loss and then, healing. We have landed at an independent, three-stream Anglican church and we love it.

We have no desire to ever return to the coC.

As for the trigger I mentioned at the beginning: I received a notice about my upcoming college reunion. It was a coC college that I attended.
All of a sudden, I feel very anxious about going bc it was our coC origins that brought us together to that school.

So that's why I am here. I still don't know how to handle these loose ends. Thank you for listening...I am glad to have found this place. :)
Last edited by Athena on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy

Re: A year of healing

Post by Ivy »

Welcome to the board!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the board - and your study struck SO many familiar chords! Luckily, I managed to squirm my way out before reproducing! That is extra hard.

Odd things can suddenly bring those memories back again. I am particularly hit whenever I am challenged to be 'perfect', for instance.

Anyway - I do remember the 'history of the coc'.

We were hiding in caves. Until we emerged into the light in the very home of cave systems: Kentucky!

Hey, when you are like, seven years old, it's believable!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

My wife and I were Baptist. We became familiar with the Church of Christ through a Bible study with a c of C minister. There is a certain logic with their approach to the Bible. The problems with their logic doesn’t become apparent until much later.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the board. Did you mean to write "three stream"? I am glad you found a church that you love.
Athena

Post by Athena »

teresa wrote:Welcome to the board. Did you mean to write "three stream"? I am glad you found a church that you love.
Yes, indeed. I will go correct that now! :)
Athena

Post by Athena »

Cootie Brown wrote:My wife and I were Baptist. We became familiar with the Church of Christ through a Bible study with a c of C minister. There is a certain logic with their approach to the Bible. The problems with their logic doesn’t become apparent until much later.
"A certain logic," as in psuedo-logic: the appearance of logic without the substance. I think the nail in the coffin for me was when the preacher—a good-ole Texas boy who regularly butchered Greek words in the pulpit—redirected a well-considered comment during a Bible study with, "some of you smart folks like to get into THEOLOGY (*theatrical posturing to indicate the comment was FAR TOO DEEP for us to discuss")...Hey, if that's your thing, have at it! But for the rest of us...(*detour back to his shallow point*)

He actually scoffed at THEOLOGY. :shock:
Athena

Post by Athena »

agricola wrote: Anyway - I do remember the 'history of the coc'.

We were hiding in caves. Until we emerged into the light in the very home of cave systems: Kentucky!
Holy moly...I had never connected it to the cave system in KY! :lol: And we've got a lot of 'em here too in central FL. I must be standing on holy ground.
:P Nice to meet you!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for sharing the story. Don't go to the reunion.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Sean wrote: Don't go to the reunion.
I agree with Sean...don't go!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~