I'm glad I found this support group

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Crystianne

I'm glad I found this support group

Post by Crystianne »

I just want to express how much I appreciate the existence of this group. I was born and raised in the "hard line" Church of Christ, and almost all of my relatives are still members. I went to Harding College (now Harding University) in Searcy, Arkansas, and graduated with a degree in music and psychology. I married a lifelong member of the Church of Christ, and we raised our two children in the church. They both now are agnostics and have negative views of the Church of Christ and churches in general. Their father and I divorced after 16 years of marriage, and I left the Church of Christ around that same time (early 1990s). I am married now to a man who does not care for organized religion in general, but supports my right to choose what's best for myself. I spent a few years as a Catholic -- until I was excommunicated for marrying without having my first marriage annulled. And I spent another few years in a Disciples of Christ church because they needed a choir director and a friend of mine recruited me for that position. At present, I am not worshiping at any church, and my personal religion could be characterized as "eclectic" but still basically Christian. Currently, I am writing a book about the Church of Christ's role in my family and in my own life. I am trying to strike a balance between the positive and negative aspects of growing up in the church, for despite its very narrow spectrum of fundamentalist Christian teachings, I still have many fond memories of church-related experiences.
Crystianne
Ivy

Re: I'm glad I found this support group

Post by Ivy »

Very glad you are here, Crystianne!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

So glad you have joined us! My three children were all raised in the CofC, and none of them attend church now—two of them are atheists. My husband and I now attend a Disciples of Christ Church and are very happy.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Glad you found this site. People leaving the c of C often have similar stories. You will find likeminded folk here. My wife and I became members of the c of C through a Bible study. She was raised Southern Baptist.I became a Baptist shortly after we married.

We were part of the c of C for 27 years. She is a Methodist now and I am no longer religious. I’m certain you will find this site helpful.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the board.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages