So glad you are here

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
VickiB

So glad you are here

Post by VickiB »

I was literally " born in the pew" in the Church of Christ.
I went to 2 different Church of Christ Colleges. I even was married to the Precher's Son for 18 horrible years. I divorced him and I left the CofC years ago. Stuck and can't see to heal. I grew up in non instrumental legalistic church. Glad you are here. :D
Moogy

Re: So glad you are here

Post by Moogy »

VickiB wrote:I was literally " born in the pew" in the Church of Christ.
I went to 2 different Church of Christ Colleges. I even was married to the Precher's Son for 18 horrible years. I divorced him and I left the CofC years ago. Stuck and can't see to heal. I grew up in non instrumental legalistic church. Glad you are here. :D
We are glad to have you here, too. This group helps many people who feel stuck. Take what you need from here, and disregard the rest. ;)
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the board.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Leaving religion altogether, or extricating yourself from a strict, legalistic, fundamentalist version of a religious sect is, more often than not, emotionally traumatizing. And this can last for years and often requires professional help to deal with it.

In other words what you’re experiencing isn’t unusual, but it does get better with the passing of time. Finding likeminded folk that have had a similar experience is usually helpful. Folks that have been there and done that know where you’re coming from.

It’s often helpful to realize the c of C’s approach to scripture is horribly flawed and that makes their teachings and traditions equally flawed. I hope this site helps you in your healing process.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Hi VickiB and welcome to the ex-board! you will find a lot of variety here.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

VickiB wrote:I was literally " born in the pew" in the Church of Christ.
Welcome aboard! It's really, really hard to get it out of your head. I'm no longer a believer, yet I find myself thinking a lot about how CoC doctrine is wrong -- how the whole idea of "CENI" (Command, example, and necessary inference) is actually unscriptural, how using insisting that the "silence of the scriptures" implies prohibition is misuse of the scriptures -- all of that stuff goes through my head when I don't actually believe that there are any such things as gods. It's the way I was conditioned to think. Church of Christ sermons were (and are still) so often about why our version of Christianity and way of doing things was correct, that when I realized we were wrong, my mind just shifted to arguing against the things I once argued for.

Hopefully, someday I'll find some peace in my head. I hope you will, as well, whatever CoC ghosts are haunting you.
VickiB

Post by VickiB »

Thank you for your warm welcome everyone!!