Back Again

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
New Religion

Back Again

Post by New Religion »

Hi again everyone

I was a part of this group some years ago but have since lost my sign-in/username info.

Basically, I grew up CoC in the South. For a myriad of reasons I left the church completely after my first year attending a christian college. My grandfather was a preacher for CoC in another Southern state and since I'm not only gay but also politically liberal, my parents have not spoken to me in over 15 years. (Nothing says unconditional love like throwing your kids away). My grandparents died within those 15 years. They, too, had cut off communications so I never got to say goodbye.

I've since created my own family. Some are religious, some are tall, some are overweight, some have brown skin color, some are straight, some are gay, some are handicapped, some are immigrants, some are rich, some are poor, some are educated, some are not, etc. There's so much love, empathy and compassion to give and receive. I feel like it's a completely different world than what CoC taught me exists, but now I know better and I want to feel & be better.
agricola

Re: Back Again

Post by agricola »

Welcome back.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome back, New Religion!! I'm so sorry you have gone through rejection by your family, and glad you found your way back to see us.

What was your board name before?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Welcome back indeed. Unfortunately, your story is all to familiar. I’m convinced the c of C is a religious cult, but most of the folks that participate on this site disagree. If they aren’t a cult, they display enough cult like characteristics that people, IMO, should be concerned and cautious before they become affiliated with them.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:Welcome back indeed. Unfortunately, your story is all to familiar. I’m convinced the c of C is a religious cult, but most of the folks that participate on this site disagree. If they aren’t a cult, they display enough cult like characteristics that people, IMO, should be concerned and cautious before they become affiliated with them.
To clarify (from my own perspective) what Cootie is saying about the cultic nature of cofc, I would say that it's cult-like but just doesn't meet all of the criteria to be a full blown cult. I'd certainly agree with Cootie that people should be aware of the cult-like traits and steer very clear of most cofc-identified churches and groups.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~