There is hope.

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Strong Agnostic

There is hope.

Post by Strong Agnostic »

Greetings all. Thought I would stop by and see how the Kampbellite Kiddie Kollege Kumbaya Klub was doing (no offense, just humor). Anyone who can identify me and my old screen name will receive a 2 cent gift card to the Bible Bookstore of your choice. I doubt there will be a quick winner, because after visiting here on and off for over a decade, this is the first time I've ever been in a positive mood. The reason? I have finally broken free (well 90%) from the toxic coc doctrine that was seared deeply into my developing mind from birth. In fact, I have discarded the threats, fear and superstition of all religion.
-
How was this seemingly impossible transformation achieved after 40 years of wandering the earth as a walking wounded, hostilely depressed, ex-coc zombie? It began several years ago when I finally delved into comparative mythology, a subject of personal interest for decades. Since I was going to Hell anyway, why not enjoy reading about these long lost 'pagan' religions, including some 'occult' beliefs? I mean the punishment is the same for all sins right? So if you're going to sin . . . Sin Big!
-
I first read Sarah Iles Johnston's "Religions of the Ancient World, A Guide". Next came "Who Wrote The Bible" by Richard Elliot Friedman, followed by "The Early History Of God, Yahweh and the Other Deities in Ancient Israel 2nd ed" from Mark Smith and "Did God Have A Wife? Archaeology And Folk Religion In Ancient Israel" by William G. Dever and more. These were the first true scholars I'd encountered, despite having invested a decade of study in math, physics, chemistry, electronics and related technical fields.
-
Having lost much of my fear of "God" out of self hatred and sheer rage, but never my insatiable childhood curiosity, I started learning. I had been a cognitive agnostic-atheist for 30 years, but this new information; these FACTS that could be proven by history, linguistic dissection, iconography, epigraphy, plus a dozen other fields of study I never knew existed . . . and above all else tangible archaeological evidence - these facts changed my emotions. They changed how I actually felt in my gut.
-
Having been trained in a math, science, technical background, I accepted no premise, assertion or conclusion without Proof, mathematical, experimental, logical or tangible proof. The books above, plus many more, have given me solid proof that Judaism and Christianity are as mythical as Zeus, Thor, Odin and 3000 other "gods" created by man's ignorant imagination.
-
My requirement for proof is also restricts me to being a strong agnostic. The Cosmos exists, that is reality. No one can yet prove in a court, lab or derivation how it came into existence - whether by natural forces, an entity or something entirely unknown/unknowable (assuming we could even tell the difference).
-
I bask in the security of uncertainty.
-
This has been my path to freedom, may you find your own. Sorry for the post length but I probably won't be back for a while.
Best wishes to all, don't give up, you can find peace and happiness. You deserve it.
B.H.

Re: There is hope.

Post by B.H. »

Are you crimson tamarin?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Welcome! Many have taken your journey and freed themselves from the bondage of religion, and it appears more and more are making that same journey with each passing year. Congrats on your efforts to find the exit sign. ;)
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Strong Agnostic wrote: ]My requirement for proof is also restricts me to being a strong agnostic. The Cosmos exists, that is reality. No one can yet prove in a court, lab or derivation how it came into existence - whether by natural forces, an entity or something entirely unknown/unknowable (assuming we could even tell the difference).
As I see it, science and logic are limited to exploring the physical realm. I think the spiritual realm may have to be "felt" intuitively, or perhaps with another non-physical sense.
ena

Post by ena »

teresa wrote:
Strong Agnostic wrote: ]My requirement for proof is also restricts me to being a strong agnostic. The Cosmos exists, that is reality. No one can yet prove in a court, lab or derivation how it came into existence - whether by natural forces, an entity or something entirely unknown/unknowable (assuming we could even tell the difference).
As I see it, science and logic are limited to exploring the physical realm. I think the spiritual realm may have to be "felt" intuitively, or perhaps with another non-physical sense.
I have been learning about the spiritual side. It is real for me but will not be sensed by unbelievers. I have often sense that other people were Christian even before I got verification. God has Christians squirreled away in the strangest places many that CoC condemns. Do you get answers to prayer when you condemn other Christians. Generally no. What I found negative about the CoC was the lack of positive answers to prayer. Other Christians do not have that problem. I encountered a prayer warrior. She lived with my wife and I for nearly 7 years. I was amazed at the positive answers she got. I learned that miracles can be subtle today. God does not show off today even though he can. I have seen her solve problems in unique. God loves beauty. I have seen blessings open up like a flower.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

ena wrote: What I found negative about the CoC was the lack of positive answers to prayer. Other Christians do not have that problem. I encountered a prayer warrior. She lived with my wife and I for nearly 7 years. I was amazed at the positive answers she got. I learned that miracles can be subtle today.
All CofCs are different (and strange in different ways) but the one I grew up in had this obsession with written scripture, that you pray TO it or WITH it or NEAR it (or some notion like that) and IT returns the answer. In other words, watch out because if you ask for something in your prayer that's not already "pre-asked" in written scripture, then forget it, it's a worthless prayer. Then you get your answer by reading it after you pray. It's in there, too. Quite a different concept than the concept of when you pray you connect into the power of the universe and you can pray for anything knowing that God can do anything he wants, not limited by a written English translation of scripture or anything else.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

So, is the originator of the thread going to tell us who she or he is?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:So, is the originator of the thread going to tell us who she or he is?
I have no clue.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:
B.H. wrote:So, is the originator of the thread going to tell us who she or he is?
I have no clue.
Is it you under a sock puppet name? :P
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:
Ivy wrote:
I have no clue.
Is it you under a sock puppet name? :P
If I had the energy to animate a sock puppet persona I could
rule the world. :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~