So glad to find you.

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Ashes

So glad to find you.

Post by Ashes »

I'm not sure where to begin. I grew up in the CoC and went to a CoC college. I had been seeing problems in the CoC for a long time since my parents' divorce when I was 14, but they have seemed much more blatant since I had to move back to the rural area where I grew up and my "grandfather-planted" church, which is mostly made of my extended family.

I have decided to take a break from the church of Christ, at least until I can move back to an area like my college town where even the churches of Christ aren't so backward. Even though a part of my now feels free, another part of me feels trapped. You see, this church/my family has been such a major part of my life that I may be cutting myself off from relationships that have always been dear to my heart.

I know I will eventually find new relationships, but this may be a hard transition period.
Real blessings come from people.
bnot

Re: So glad to find you.

Post by bnot »

Welcome. I know it's tough, as we all make choices that best fit our particular situation. I wish you well, and welcome! :D
JWayne

Post by JWayne »

Welcome! I understand everything you are saying and it will get better with time. I was also in a rural hardcore COC when I left. It is tough especially dealing with family members.
Member for 18 years and free now for 35 years!
Attended the Courtland Avenue COC in Kokomo Indiana.
Father was an elder and the main reason I left.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board. Please read as much as you wish and visit as often as you want!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Glad that you found us. Read, enjoy, have a laugh, or maybe a tear.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
KLP

Post by KLP »

welcome. And yes, being in any organization such as the CofC ends up being the basis or format of almost all relationships. Can make it real hard for a while.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ramblin' Jack

Post by Ramblin' Jack »

Welcome, Ashes.

I wish you good luck as you go through this "transition period."

A lot of folks here can identify with what you are going through.
Hildegard

Post by Hildegard »

Absolutely take a break. Happy you found us and hope we can be of help during your transition period.