Hello!

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Ivy

Re: Hello!

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:We are glad to have you! I am so grateful that I never got drawn into the ICOC.

From what I read online, the ICOC didn’t really get started until around 1979-1985? I left the non-institutional COC in 1982-83. At that time, I had not heard of the ICOC/Boston Movement. I was in Texas (still am.) I am afraid the whole discipling stuff would have been very attractive to me at a time in my life. Glad I missed it, and glad you are out.

The NICOC was no picnic, but not so bad as the ICOC.
I want to kind of echo what Moogy said. If I had ever been exposed to the ICOC, I might well have been attracted to it. I have been attracted to cult-like things more than once in my lifetime. Big charismatic churches, that kind of thing.

Ex, you have nothing to be ashamed of ... any of us could have been drawn into it. You were born into it....what were you supposed to do?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote: The NICOC was no picnic, but not so bad as the ICOC.
[/quote]

What you said is true. I was mainstream in California. It was affected by people coming from the Southern CoC including NI. I will have nothing to do with the CoC other than to condemn it! I has hurt far too many people and is far too good at generating athiests. Why revolves around what is true and not. You cannot ignore the Old Testament to understand 2nd temple Judiasm. You cannot read only the New Testament to understand Jesus and what he was about. He was a Hebrew and sacrificed himself to complete covenant made with Moses at Sinai. After the Golden Calf incident God told Moses that he was going to destroy the Children of Israel and make of Moses many nations. Exodus 32. That way he could keep his promise to Abraham. Moses objected and saved the children of Israel from destruction. If you want to really piss off God then worship something not god as God. This will happen in the Tribulation when the Satanic False Prophet claims to be God. If you worship him you will be condemned. My CoC worshipped baptism which is a public acting out of your faith. Not salvation. They used Acts 2:38 and drove it so hard that you missed a critical fact. Read all of Acts 2. The people received the gift of the Holy Spirit before baptism. You cannot receive the gift of the Holy Spirit before salvation. The order is wrong for baptism for salvation to be true. A liar cannot inherit the kingdom of Heaven. This is written around a hundred times in the Bible. A launch failure is not necessarily yours. Keep yourself a sanity space. If it is your home decide the boundaries. Our door locks changed once my son was out. He is horrible yo deal with if he is drunk. Sober he is fine. I am watching him destroy a marriage. His wife is a keeper. He may find her to get an inheritance from me not him. I want to change our living trust allowing control. There are causes I would rather get what estate I have rather than to have it fund alcohol. Beer or wine or cigarettes kill the body and cost more than most think. We helped him out with magnesium when he had terrible cramps. Maybe we should have let him suffer. Alcohol depletes magnesium giving you horrible cramps. In the end each person is responsible for themselves.
hls

Post by hls »

Moogy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:05 pm We are glad to have you! I am so grateful that I never got drawn into the ICOC.

From what I read online, the ICOC didn’t really get started until around 1979-1985? I left the non-institutional COC in 1982-83. At that time, I had not heard of the ICOC/Boston Movement. I was in Texas (still am.) I am afraid the whole discipling stuff would have been very attractive to me at a time in my life. Glad I missed it, and glad you are out.

The NICOC was no picnic, but not so bad as the ICOC.
I am an ex ICOC member I even saw Kip McKean(founder) in person at the ICOC seminars in Boston. Nothing attractive about the discipling stuff. It was a way to monitor every member and report on you up the chain of leadership. Because of them I flunked out of college. They demand every second of your time to the point I could not study. if you dare refuse to go to one of the many weekly gatherings you would get a real tounge lashing. They told you where to live, who your roommates will be, who to date. You even had to get approval to marry. I was disciplined and attacked for going to my family on Christmas instead of staying here. It was ridiculous. My entire family disowned me even after I left. The worst was the interventions. if you did not repent they would have a meeting and embarrass you in front of 20+ people. Like I would not lose weight so they had the whole campus group fat shame me in a controlled meeting. What was hysterical is the stress of the church is what drove me to eat.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

hls wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:54 pm I am an ex ICOC member I even saw Kip McKean(founder) in person at the ICOC seminars in Boston. Nothing attractive about the discipling stuff. It was a way to monitor every member and report on you up the chain of leadership. Because of them I flunked out of college. They demand every second of your time to the point I could not study. if you dare refuse to go to one of the many weekly gatherings you would get a real tounge lashing. They told you where to live, who your roommates will be, who to date. You even had to get approval to marry. I was disciplined and attacked for going to my family on Christmas instead of staying here. It was ridiculous. My entire family disowned me even after I left. The worst was the interventions. if you did not repent they would have a meeting and embarrass you in front of 20+ people. Like I would not lose weight so they had the whole campus group fat shame me in a controlled meeting. What was hysterical is the stress of the church is what drove me to eat.
Wow, that is really awful. Like the mainstream CofC on steroids. The worse part is your family disowning you. Does that continue today?
agricola

Post by agricola »

You are certainly welcome here - but we really do not have very many from the ICOC group. This is mainly a site populated by 'standard' Church of Christ, non-instrumental, full-immersion baptism, male-only ministry...the one that claims to be founded in 33 AD but actually grew out of the US Restoration movements sometime in the 1800s, and became a distinct denomination early in the 1900s. upon splitting with what became the Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Not that the CoC agrees with calling themselves a 'denomination', of course.

The ICOC is a later split (20th century) from the mainstream or perhaps non-institutional, CoC denomination, and has many variations in organizations, terminology and practice from the standard garden variety CoC.

But you are, actually, welcome here - even though most of us don't know what a 'sector' is, or a 'region' either - the garden variety CoC is not organized above the individual congregational level.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.