Hello!

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
ena

Re: Hello!

Post by ena »

Excocmember96 wrote: Oh thank you!! I had no idea actually! I thought CoC was an umbrella term for icoc and icc, do you have a link for the icoc groups, I appreciate you letting me know! Everyone here has been so kind and helpful I really appreciate it :)

There are things that I don't talk about because of identification. You have your screen name. I have been out 50 years and I wondered why I was paranoid about judgement day. I learned here why. It took me 40 years to get Christianity straight in my own mind because the CoC is so ignorant. Some of the churches they condemn have it right. Some are denominations. Never in the CoC have I ever heard the gospel properly taught. The are no denominations in the Bible. That happened much later in the Reformation. I was in a Baptist like church when the disciplining movement hit. That is what caused the CoC to morph. It morphed badly and hurt many people. You apparently caught that end. Sorry about that. I hope you find your way out. Sorting things out can take time but it is worth it.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Excocmember96 wrote:Oh thank you!! I had no idea actually! I thought CoC was an umbrella term for icoc and icc, do you have a link for the icoc groups, I appreciate you letting me know! Everyone here has been so kind and helpful I really appreciate it :)
I don't know specific links, but I'm pretty sure Teresa (the owner and creator of this site) knows of several. So let's wait until she comes back to get you the right ones!!!

We have ICOC people stopping by from time to time, and there are similarities you can relate to, I'm sure. And you're always welcome here!! But the best help will come from those who have been involved in the exact same type of group, methinks.

Teresa!! Please share ICOC support group links for Excocmember96!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Here's one site. It looks a bit out of date but they have links to other sites that might be useful.

http://www.reveal.org
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

We are glad to have you! I am so grateful that I never got drawn into the ICOC.

From what I read online, the ICOC didn’t really get started until around 1979-1985? I left the non-institutional COC in 1982-83. At that time, I had not heard of the ICOC/Boston Movement. I was in Texas (still am.) I am afraid the whole discipling stuff would have been very attractive to me at a time in my life. Glad I missed it, and glad you are out.

The NICOC was no picnic, but not so bad as the ICOC.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
ena

Post by ena »

Moogy wrote: I am afraid the whole discipling stuff would have been very attractive to me at a time in my life. Glad I missed it, and glad you are out.

It is very attractive. You end up being a disciple under a person who has supposedly got it together. How many people got it together in the CoC. The old Testament says: All mens righteousness is as filthy rags. You are supposed to submit to the one in charge of you. See the problem? Ex ends up needing help from being force fed this swill. I have my wounds from being force fed swill in a mainstream church. Ex got it even worse. Not his fault. Not the fault of Jesus or God. It is the fault of the religious system! Ex a person that comes out of this gauntlet is not crazy. Trusting the untrustable will do damage. They can crush your spirit but not kill it. Give it time to work out and grow.
Excocmember96

Post by Excocmember96 »

ena wrote:
Moogy wrote: I am afraid the whole discipling stuff would have been very attractive to me at a time in my life. Glad I missed it, and glad you are out. (/quote)

It is very attractive. You end up being a disciple under a person who has supposedly got it together. How many people got it together in the CoC. The old Testament says: All mens righteousness is as filthy rags. You are supposed to submit to the one in charge of you. See the problem? Ex ends up needing help from being force fed this swill. I have my wounds from being force fed swill in a mainstream church. Ex got it even worse. Not his fault. Not the fault of Jesus or God. It is the fault of the religious system! Ex a person that comes out of this gauntlet is not crazy. Trusting the untrustable will do damage. They can crush your spirit but not kill it. Give it time to work out and grow.

This helps me in more ways than you know, the church made me believe it’s my own fault. So now I just feel guilty for even being apart of such a toxic church environment. I feel guilty for believing them and believing that I deserve to feel guilty based on the Bible and God... but I’m starting to realize that’s their beliefs creeping in. In reality I have a chance to give myself forgiveness.
Excocmember96

Post by Excocmember96 »

teresa wrote:Here's one site. It looks a bit out of date but they have links to other sites that might be useful.

http://www.reveal.org

Thank you so much!
Excocmember96

Post by Excocmember96 »

ena wrote:
Excocmember96 wrote: Oh thank you!! I had no idea actually! I thought CoC was an umbrella term for icoc and icc, do you have a link for the icoc groups, I appreciate you letting me know! Everyone here has been so kind and helpful I really appreciate it :)

There are things that I don't talk about because of identification. You have your screen name. I have been out 50 years and I wondered why I was paranoid about judgement day. I learned here why. It took me 40 years to get Christianity straight in my own mind because the CoC is so ignorant. Some of the churches they condemn have it right. Some are denominations. Never in the CoC have I ever heard the gospel properly taught. The are no denominations in the Bible. That happened much later in the Reformation. I was in a Baptist like church when the disciplining movement hit. That is what caused the CoC to morph. It morphed badly and hurt many people. You apparently caught that end. Sorry about that. I hope you find your way out. Sorting things out can take time but it is worth it.

Thank you, your kind words mean a lot. I just feel glad that I’m no alone :)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Excocmember96 wrote:
ena wrote:

Thank you, your kind words mean a lot. I just feel glad that I’m no alone :)
You are not alone!! And you are always welcome here with this group of misfits. :lol: :P :D
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

Excocmember96 wrote: Thank you, your kind words mean a lot. I just feel glad that I’m no alone :)
I trusted those that told me lies. It's that simple. When you are a child you do not have a basis for comparison. Jesus is much more gentle than you have been told. He is sees the way it really is and your reaction to it. You may someday get to talk to him. He will never ask you to sin. Follow that path. He is quite alive. He is your interface to God. I say it that way because some spirits are evil. They cannot take you. They can crush you but find a safe place and hang out until you heal. You are not alone ever it spite of how you feel. Sometimes it is better to be alone and healing. Not around those that are angling for an advantage. To me the CoC was the time I spent in Hell. It's a Hell of your own devising. The real Hell is far worse than anything you can consieve of. You are not alone and you are not in Hell. The Lord does not give up as long as you are alive he hopes for better. Hang in!