Yet again another old-timer

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
indigoblue

Yet again another old-timer

Post by indigoblue »

I discovered this website in about 2006 while searching for info on Mary Winkler. I was newly divorced after 35 (long) years and felt a kinship with Crazy Mary. I also had a theory that she shot her CofC preacher husband because he wanted her to keep having babies until he had a son to carry on the Winkler preacher dynasty. My web search brought up a very long thread started by kent announcing the murder. It was very enlightening. Another thread was a contest to make the most irreverent CofC bumper stickers. I didn't know there were other people out there who were trying to escape the CofC.

At the time I was still attending the CofC on Sunday AM only because I wanted to support my daughter. She was attending college in the same town and was involved (minimally, for my benefit) in the Christian Student Center. I later found out from her that she was only attending the CofC for my benefit. I wish we had discussed that sooner and saved ourselves a lot of time.

I was somewhat active here for several years but then got tired of the bullies who kept poking fun at the ones here who had found spiritual satisfaction with other religious groups. The bullies wore me out. I also no longer need support for leaving the CofC, so I just disappeared. However, I am still Facebook friends with several of the old exCofC people I met here.

I am now happily agnostic. I don't know whether there is a Higher Being, but if there is, He isn't the God of the CofC. They limit Him too much.
Ivy

Re: Yet again another old-timer

Post by Ivy »

I remember you!! Glad you stopped by!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Hi there.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Hi again!
We outlasted most of those folks.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Hi, glad you dropped back in.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
candace

Post by candace »

Hi! I was on the old board in 2006 and 2007. I'm back on again and I remember you from the old board