I am new here

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
IamGods

I am new here

Post by IamGods »

I've been going to the Church of Christ for 8 years now first in Orlando now and Montgomery Alabama before this I went to non denominational church, Methodist Church and the Assemblies of God which it was in the Assembly of God I was saved I have questions or the Church of Christ but afraid to go to anyone like their idea on no instrumental music, miracles the gifts one is Jesus the same today they would say yes I would say he was a miracle working God then why not now I'd say in the old testament they used instruments and in Revelations they use musical instruments so why not now in between I went to a church that the gifts for use they say that they're not for today I saw them in practice anyhow I'm stuck in Montgomery or another year I just don't know what to do I have a few good friends at this church so I'm just staying put but I'm not happy about it
SolaDude

Re: I am new here

Post by SolaDude »

Welcome aboard. The first thing I would ask is why are you afraid? You mean you are afraid to even speak to the friends you still have there about these questions? I would not recommend you stay in any church where you are afraid to speak to anyone. Also, can you perhaps elaborate on why you changed from non-denominational to Methodist to Assembly of God then to Church of Christ?
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome! Most Churches of Christ may SAY that questions are welcome. But if you don’t accept their explanations, they are not happy. The preacher and other leaders have canned answers to every question. Many of us found those answers less than satisfactory.

The same is true for many denominations. They want you to agree with them, or you are barely tolerated. Other churches welcome questioning and welcome those who don’t agree with everything that is taught there.

I encourage you to look at a variety of churches next time you move, and to make friends in a variety of places, not just at church. I lost many close friends when I left the COC.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Welcome to the board!
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-CoC universe - do feel free to browse around the discussions, and ask anything you want!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the Board. Feel free to join in any conversation or ask questions, etc.