Hi

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
SolaDude

Re: Hi

Post by SolaDude »

I like Ivy's suggestion about simply leaving if she brings up your eternal judgment, etc. Simply telling her you love her and will stay with her until she starts bringing such things up, then at that time you will immediately leave. That gives her a consequence, if she wants your presence, she will comply, if she does not, she will not.

To see CofCs producing this type of worldview of your mother's is not surprising but it's like watching a horror movie to me, with a face changing before your eyes into a grotesque monster. They supplant being a disciple of Jesus, i.e., walking faithfully in his footsteps with being a disciple of their church, walking faithfully in the footsteps of their church as they define it. It's because your attendance at church is primarily what defines your dedication and saves you in the end rather than your behavior in the world, your relationship with and ultimate sacrificial service to others everywhere. Combine that with the worship of Rush Limbaugh and his endless hatred and you have a cultic worldview IMO. Ironically, Rush himself was atheistic or agnostic. All of us, and especially constantly judgmental CofC hardliners, are going to be shocked to see who is and who is not in heaven.

I am very sorry you have had to live in this situation and endure it for so long. It appears it will not be long before it comes to an end, however, with the age and state of health of your mother. She is one lucky person to have survived COVID at her age. How did she get it? Did she perhaps deny its existence or severity and just refused to wear a mask or social distance?
Last edited by SolaDude on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Even at 80 she may live a few years longer. Sounds like she might be depressed (?). A therapist might do her a world of good.

But I don't want to give you unsolicited "advice". You're welcome to just vent. :)
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Chainbreaker77

Post by Chainbreaker77 »

She got covid at the very beginning, along with my dad who died of it, and even with COPD she had very mild symptoms. She had to stay quarantined in her house for the weeks surrounding his death and speak to people through the door and I think that broke her brain a little bit more. I sympathize, and it was heart-wrenching, but it’s all really caused her to start ramping up the church talk. A lot of her friends have had covid as well because these old ladies were in and out of each other’s houses the entirety of 2020. To top all of this off she’s totally hooked on opioids which she is legitimately prescribed for crippling pain from multiple diseases, so that makes her kooky was well. Them getting covid early was how I came to write the article that got picked up by all the Hearst papers and why I was interviewed on TV. They all wanted to talk to the guy who watched his dad die on Facetime. The New York Times called me. Still, after all that, and having her husband die of it, she still got sucked into believing some convoluted narrative about it. In retrospect, they’ve always fallen for hucksters. They went hardcore COC after one door knocker visit, after all. They buy hundreds of dollars worth of miracle powders from weirdo doctors and even go to seminars for that type of thing. So, par for the course, I guess.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

That is really sad, Chainbreaker. Yes, the doorknocker entryway was of interest to me; they rarely really recruit converts by knocking on doors. Or so it seemed to me based on the churches I've experienced. I didn't see many people knocking on doors.
Chainbreaker77

Post by Chainbreaker77 »

Ivy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:19 pm That is really sad, Chainbreaker. Yes, the doorknocker entryway was of interest to me; they rarely really recruit converts by knocking on doors. Or so it seemed to me based on the churches I've experienced. I didn't see many people knocking on doors.
Yeah, they loved to regale people with the story of how jaws dropped when they said “Sure, come on in!” So some randos came by their house offering a bible study, and they immediately convinced them to come to this church they’d never heard of that met in a tiny little building. From then on it was church three times a week for the next 40 years. I checked out the Facebook page of that church. It’s still around, and sharing memes that say things like “Church should be the excuse you use to miss other things.”
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Chainbreaker77 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:01 pm Still, after all that, and having her husband die of it, she still got sucked into believing some convoluted narrative about it.
That is the most puzzling and troubling aspect of these patients who have gone through it, even Tr***, have been hospitalized and made it through, but it doesn't change their minds. I even wonder if some would admit they actually got COVID, claiming they had some other ailment, since in their minds there really is no such thing as COVID. It reminds me of the deprogrammers we saw on TV years ago who went in and grabbed people to get them out of their programmed reality.

It's going though all my wife's family now, parents and siblings.. It is such a hideous disease, especially those that go through the slow (and sometimes quick), suffocating death it renders All of them are avid Fox News watchers, conspiracy theory buyers, and Trumpeteers. I found out after the parents (89 and 90) were hospitalized that their children did not get them vaccinated in January because of the risk of death from the vaccine. Oh my oh my. What can you do....
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Wow Sola. That's terrible about your wife's family. I'm truly sorry to hear that.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Chainbreaker77 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:11 pm
Ivy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:19 pm That is really sad, Chainbreaker. Yes, the doorknocker entryway was of interest to me; they rarely really recruit converts by knocking on doors. Or so it seemed to me based on the churches I've experienced. I didn't see many people knocking on doors.
Yeah, they loved to regale people with the story of how jaws dropped when they said “Sure, come on in!” So some randos came by their house offering a bible study, and they immediately convinced them to come to this church they’d never heard of that met in a tiny little building. From then on it was church three times a week for the next 40 years. I checked out the Facebook page of that church. It’s still around, and sharing memes that say things like “Church should be the excuse you use to miss other things.”
Chain, I learned a new word today. Had to look up "rando". LOL!! I thought maybe you meant a follower of Ayn Rand, which I guess some cofc people are these days. :lol: :lol: :lol:
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:44 pm Wow Sola. That's terrible about your wife's family. I'm truly sorry to hear that.
Thx, Ivy....
agricola

Post by agricola »

That's both sad and infuriating, and must be very difficult. I'm sorry, Sola -
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.