Hello again

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
gordie91

Hello again

Post by gordie91 »

Hello to all the old and new ex'ers. I can't remember the last time I was on here and even posted. I thought I would re-introduce myself with updates.

Last year was a wild ride! Since me and my wife are in the health field her a nurse at a hospital and me administrator at a long term care facilities, it has been rough. Thank God none of our residents died or had trouble if they got sick. Also, none of the employees that contracted the disease died.

I came down with it in December. I had it all, pneumonia, the inflammation response and the worst headache EVER! I had fever for a week straight and the day I went to the ER, they watched me for 12 hours and finally let me go home because I responded to treatment. I was really close to going into the hospital because of my waiting to get checked out. When I couldn't smell the coffee and had a fever with a monster headache then I knew it was time.

I still have affects of the disease. I continued to have shortness of breath, chest pain and the craziest of all was and is the brain fog. All is getting better even the brain fog but I have high blood pressure and take medication for it. Never had it before. I tell you, when the nurse took my pressure at the ER they all started moving with medication and other treatments. I don't know what it was but when they start to hustle you know it was dangerous.

My daughter was married right before the lockdown and any day now will deliver our first grand child. We are beyond excited. So here is the CoC part of this little re-introduction. Our daughter and SIL, have become catechumens in the Orthodox Church. My daughter is vocal and more willing to talk to people. She even explained things to her grandmother who is firmly planted in the NI-CoC and isn't moving. So, when the priest comes to the hospital or when the priest performs other rituals connected to the birth, one side of the family you can count them out. She told her she didn't even want an invite because she doesn't want to be around or participate in something like a blessing service or a baptism.

To all the me new to you folk, just know it can be done. We are so happy we left and hopefully influenced our children to decide for themselves. My son is also inquiring and attending where he lives in another state. So all you new people hang in there, it will get to a point where you are truly comfortable with your decision. Doesn't mean things are always pleasant and rosy but at least you will have the strength to get through it because you have and so have others.
agricola

Re: Hello again

Post by agricola »

Wow - lots of news in a short period - some great, some not so great.
I''m glad you recovered/are recovering - and beyond glad that your facility managed so well.
Glad and happy you are expecting a grandchild - congratulations!
Sorry about the family drama, but it is about what could be expected and better she be absent than show up like the wicked fairy at the event.

Best of luck and good fortune. Stay well.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Gordie!! Great to see you here.

Wow, you've had a lot going on. Glad that you are recovering and that you have so much good family news!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

What a story, Gordie, glad that you made it through such a difficult time and hope you post-COVID symptoms lessen with time. Were you vaccinated before or after getting it?
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

SolaDude wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:50 pm What a story, Gordie, glad that you made it through such a difficult time and hope you post-COVID symptoms lessen with time. Were you vaccinated before or after getting it?
Thanks all, good to be back at it. SolaDude, I wasn't vaccinated before and my doctor has advised me, due to all the heart problems known and unknown it would be better to wait. They seem to think that the disease attacks the organs at the cellular level and with my high BP now and some blockage they were concerned that to be vaccinated after might stimulate a response that wouldn't be good for my heart. So I will wait based on that and hopefully the antibodies will stick around. My wife just had a mild case, just tired. Our son hasn't gotten sick yet and has been tested 3 times. He either had it and fought it off (because he is young) or he has some kind of protective shield around him :D .

Most of our individuals received the vaccine and none have become sick, thank God. Our employees also had the vaccine available and since that we have had no cases of our employees contracting COVID-19. We were one of the firsts in our area to offer the vaccine to our people. Since the last round in February we have been good. So maybe I will in the future but right now I'm going to wait. Hey, I had it and recovered but if anyone is old over 50, or has some kind of underlying problem I would highly recommend the vaccine. I was lucky and would not want someone to have to go through it if they are weak or have underlying condition. Bad stuff. BTW I'm over 50 so don't ding me for calling us old :D
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Note to last post: I got sick before the vaccines were available.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Hi gordie, so sorry you had to go thru all that.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I had been wondering where you disappeared to. Your COVID experience sounds terrible. I worked as a Social Worker in a long-term care facility before retirement. I was really glad I was already retired when COVID hit.

There is one Orthodox Church in the city near us (an hour away is close in west Texas). The local priest recently visited the chess club that my husband and I run at the local library. He is a very nice man. He said he was humbled when he lost to one of the young kids!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Glad to see you back! I have thought about you and noticed I hadn’t seen you on here in a long time.