Hello

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
lpswims

Hello

Post by lpswims »

Hello! Y'all can call me LP. I'm a 28 year old woman and I grew up in a non-Instrumental small town Church of Christ. We moved a lot growing up and we ended up somewhere that blatantly told us we weren't welcome because at one point we went to a very forward thinking and more liberal, very large and thriving Church of Christ. I, however was allowed to continue attendance there because we went to that church when I was a child and I was still deemed rescuable. Once I got older, I was going there with my grandmother on a semi-regular basis and dared to correct an elder when he spoke about there being no women leaders in the Bible. I, a woman, was therefore told that I could not come back to the church until I changed my mind. Ling story short, I left and never looked back. Now I am attending school at a Restoration Movement university that is aligned with the Christian Churches instead of Churches of Christ. My majors are teaching, sports and fitness leadership, and Biblical studies. In my Bible and theology classes I am learning just how far removed from the Bible I believe the CoC is. I knew why I left but I didn't realize just how much I can't agree with but is taught in the CoC. My grandmother firmly believes I am going to Hell now but that's ok. I still love her and she still loves me. Is she making any moves to get me back in the CoC, absolutely not, but I'm glad she's not because I don't know if I could go back and attend regularly.
teresa
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by teresa »

Hi LP.

Welcome to the board. I think you made the right choice in leaving that congregation.

Why does your grandmother think you are going to hell? Because of instrumental music?
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome to our supportive group.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
lpswims

Post by lpswims »

teresa wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:17 pm Hi LP.

Welcome to the board. I think you made the right choice in leaving that congregation.

Why does your grandmother think you are going to hell? Because of instrumental music?
Mainly because I left the CoC and am not welcome back. I no longer adhere to the straight and narrow (even though I literally go to a church from the Stone-Campell movement) so my grandma thinks I've fallen away and don't have the ability to be saved as long as I am not welcome in the CoC.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

lpswims wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:28 am Mainly because I left the CoC and am not welcome back. I no longer adhere to the straight and narrow (even though I literally go to a church from the Stone-Campell movement) so my grandma thinks I've fallen away and don't have the ability to be saved as long as I am not welcome in the CoC.
Welcome aboard. As I remember, the Stone-Campbell movement was never to be mentioned in the CofC, especially the name of Alexander Campbell. Primarily because "we're the Church, we started with Christ and have existed all along". So they never considered themselves a "division" of the Stone Campbell movement particularly, as I recall it. Of course, the Baptists have always taunted them as "Campbellites".

You can't do anything about ignorance, about neglecting history, about pride, and especially about the condemnation of everyone else being their guiding light or "polar star" . So, your grandma seems to represent the typical "it's a closed case" mindfulness of the CofC that will never change unless God Himself changes it. I hope, in spite of it all, you can continue having a relationship with her.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome, LP!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:44 am
lpswims wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:28 am Mainly because I left the CoC and am not welcome back. I no longer adhere to the straight and narrow (even though I literally go to a church from the Stone-Campell movement) so my grandma thinks I've fallen away and don't have the ability to be saved as long as I am not welcome in the CoC.
Welcome aboard. As I remember, the Stone-Campbell movement was never to be mentioned in the CofC, especially the name of Alexander Campbell. Primarily because "we're the Church, we started with Christ and have existed all along". So they never considered themselves a "division" of the Stone Campbell movement particularly, as I recall it. Of course, the Baptists have always taunted them as "Campbellites".
Sola, I think I may start a new thread on this topic. I don't want to highjack LP's welcome thread. :D
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:57 am
SolaDude wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:44 am
Sola, I think I may start a new thread on this topic. I don't want to highjack LP's welcome thread. :D
Sorry, didn't mean at all to highjack, looked like she had already been asked a question about her grandmother by Teresa, so thought discussion was open.....
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome LP! Enjoy the discussions and join in anywhere you like.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:37 am
Sorry, didn't mean at all to highjack, looked like she had already been asked a question about her grandmother by Teresa, so thought discussion was open.....
Oh, not at all what I meant. I wasn't criticizing you, I was just saying that your comment would be a good topic for a separate thread. No worries!! You weren't highjacking, I was going to highjack. :lol: :lol: :lol: