I'm ex-CoC and atheist

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Bobby

I'm ex-CoC and atheist

Post by Bobby »

Hi everyone,
I fell down a rabbit hole and ended up here. I've been out of CoC for over 40 years but my grandfather was a preacher and am at least 4th generation CoC and went to a CoC school from 4th-7th grade and church mostly 3x a week for 12 or so years.

I've been working on some childhood trauma, including a lot of CoC trama and that's why I landed here. I was 13 when I decided it was mainly nonsense and spent several years trying to find a god to believe until I decided for me... There wasn't one. But even decades later, I'm finding aspects of my life that were affected horribly by CoC, and when applying it to the B.I.T.E. model, which is based on abusive relationships... It is definitely an abusive cult. I'm so glad I got out early and am glad to be among others who rejected it.
Ivy

Re: I'm ex-CoC and atheist

Post by Ivy »

Welcome, Bobby!! Glad you found us in the rabbit hole. :D

Before you mentioned it here, I had never heard of the BITE model per se. I just googled it. Looks like
a mountain's worth of interesting reading. Thanks for sharing that bit of info.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Hi Bobby - welcome to the board.
Like you, I checked out mentally in early teens but took a decade or more to actually get away - and DECADES later still discovering ways that upbringing still affects me in - shall we say - non-positive ways.

I will have to google 'BITE' - and if you want to talk about it, a good place might be 'New Paths'- non-Christian, so other people can learn more about it. Only if you want to explain it, though.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome to the board!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Welcome to the board.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

It took me until age 52 to figure it out! But it's been 10 years now, end of January through early February 2012, when it all became obvious.

And yet, it's still affecting you. I guess I won't be too hard on myself, then.

Welcome aboard, and looking forward to hearing from you.