If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
NeilH

Post by NeilH »

Hi everyone. I just found this site today and thought I'd check it out. I have a lot of experience with the ICOC. I was a member from 1999 thru 2003 when everything fell apart. Afterwards my church group or sector broke off and became our own church which has evolved over the years to be one primarily focused on serving the community. I had many negative experiences during the ICOC days but I've mostly tried not to focus on that believing that God allowed me to go thru what I did for a purpose. I do however from time to time think back on those days and cringe as I think about how wrapped up I became in that system and the controls I allowed myself to be subjected to. I have a lot of stories and experiences I will share in time if people are interested. I am also interested in reading your stories.
Tsathoggua

Re: New Member

Post by Tsathoggua »

Welcome aboard!
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

Glad you're here! I don't know much about the ICOC, but I've heard horror stories.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
NeilH

Post by NeilH »

Thank you for the welcome. I don't want to say it was all bad. There were actually a lot of really good things about the church. For example there was a very big atmosphere of love amongst people in the congregation and always a sense that everyone was truly happy to see you and missed you when you couldn't be there. But there were also a lot of controls in place which at the time were given under the guise of helping people avoid sin. For example, a single man and woman would not be permitted to be alone on a date together, but always double date. That kind of thing. This could in some instances be prudent if your goal is to be pure in your actions. It's just the fact that things like that were given to us as guidelines and not as advice. It's one thing to tell someone your opinion and give advice about what you think would be wise to do or not to do. It is another to say this is what you're allowed to do or not do.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Hi Neil - Welcome to the ex-board! Feel free to read around.

This is really a board for ex members of the 'regular' coc, not the ICOC, but we sometimes get former ICOC people. I believe there is a support board out there somewhere specifically for ICOC ex members. If anybody remembers what it is, please post! Naturally there is some overlap between coc and icoc.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
NeilH

Post by NeilH »

Thank you. I just realized as I was reading through some of the other posts that this was for the regular Church of Christ not ICOC. Sorry for the confusion.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Hi Neil
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire