I am New Here

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
FinallyFree

I am New Here

Post by FinallyFree »

Just left COC this week. My husband met with an elder from our church who knew we had been visiting other churches, and he said we were free to go! Obviously, we had been attending a more liberal coc.
We are planning to attend the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Telling our children is not a problem because they are all in their 20 ' s and have all quit church. My mother is another issue, though. She is old school COC. She lives in another state, so I don't plan on telling her at this time.
I have been questioning doctrine and many other things for years, but the main issue that has driven me is that I have a gay son. I am tired of hearing hateful things about gays because I know that some people ARE born that way. The Disciples of Christ do support civil rights for all people.
Yes, I was raised in COC and went to COC high school and college.
When I was growing up, things just didn't seem right, but I always thought it was just me. It took years to start learning the truth.
Last edited by FinallyFree on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
agricola

Re: I am New Here

Post by agricola »

It's not just you.

Welcome to the ex-board!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Glad to have you with us, welcome!
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
IntrepidOne

Post by IntrepidOne »

Welcome! Glad to have you here.
Your opinion of me is none of my business.
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

Welcome. And congratulations of making the change.
Aarin

Post by Aarin »

Welcome friend to the community and to the new-found freedom :)
" Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change."
cathym

Post by cathym »

Welcome! I'm a CoC PK who started attending a Disciples church a few months ago. I'm feeling enthusiastic about church for the first time in...well, ever, I think. Certainly in years. I haven't told my parents yet; they also live in another state, and I don't think Dad will take it well. My CoC experience was not as bad as many here, but I'm glad to be where I am now. I don't have children, but I feel like this church would be a much healthier place to raise kids than any of the CoCs I've attended over the years.
juliac

Post by juliac »

Welcome! So glad you're here! I'm so sorry to hear about the treatment your son received. Nobody deserves to be treated in such a disrespectful way even if they don't agree with the different lifestyles. Best of luck at your new church!
Currently writing a book based on my experiences as a child in the CoC. Watch for updates so I can include other ex-members insights :)