New Boot

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Aarin

New Boot

Post by Aarin »

Hi All,

I left the CoC five years ago and fought back to heal, move forward, and most importantly to remind myself that I didn't lose; I gained freedom.
I was a third generation CoC and stayed until I was about 21. Until my mom's death in '08, I had lived through my parent's conserv-moderate views on religion and the world. Attended services in dresses, sang without instruments, attended every potluck and singing, and even made the decision to go into student debt through the Mecca, Florida College. The first few years following my absence in the church brought on many changes, as I also chose to come out of the proverbial 'closet' of the church and also made a commitment to live authentically.
Being a gay exCoC has never been easy and I still have days of tinges of hurt, as if a part of me is missing. But, we didn't lose. Thank you for accepting me, taking the time to hear me babble, and also for your support. I look forward to being a part of this community and supporting you all.
" Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change."
FinallyFree

Re: New Boot

Post by FinallyFree »

Welcome! I just joined here yesterday. Hope this board will be helpful to us.
I have a gay son and what he went through with the CoC was really awful. He left several years ago, I am so sorry I raised my 3 children in this church. It did not work for us at all. They are all in their 20's now and no one attends church at all.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the board - you will find many kindred spirits.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
IntrepidOne

Post by IntrepidOne »

Welcome. Glad to have you here!
Your opinion of me is none of my business.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Welcome, a pleasure to have you with us.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Aarin

Post by Aarin »

Thank you all for your warm welcome. It's especially comforting to know that we're all in safe company, with true friends.

FinallyFree, I'm so sorry for your experience with the church. There's a lot to be said about it, but I hope that you and your kids are all finding peace in the assurance outside of such a judgmental institution. I hope too that you are happy now with your choice and have found confidence in your freedom.
" Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change."
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome, Aarin!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Aarin

Post by Aarin »

Thank you, Ivy.
cathym

Post by cathym »

Welcome!
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

Congratulations on leaving the CofC. Best decision you ever made, and your future will be immensely happier without that backward, mean-spirited, judgmental denomination. You have indeed "gained freedom," and I hope you will enjoy that freedom and find happiness throughout your life.

As you deal with whatever fallout remains as the CofC fades farther and farther behind you, you will find support and encouragement here. Welcome.