Has anyone heard of...

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
juliac

Has anyone heard of...

Post by juliac »

Has anyone heard of the "Virtual Bible Study" done by a hardline CoC every Thursday night?? If not, just search Virtual Bible Study and you will see it. For those who have heard of it, does anyone know if they've done a show about this website? I know they have criticized many other ex-CoC websites in the past. I'm just curious!
Currently writing a book based on my experiences as a child in the CoC. Watch for updates so I can include other ex-members insights :)
agricola

Re: Has anyone heard of...

Post by agricola »

a) never heard of it
b) not remotely interested
c) objectively, any group attempting to use social media/online/digital resources is progressive, even if their content isn't.

One of the real joys of having left, is that I have actually LEFT. I don't look back, I don't revisit, I don't try and argue coc people out of it.

It is rather hard to move forward, if you keep facing backward.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Hi Juliac.....no, haven't heard of it, but will check it out. I do hope they have done a show about us
b/c that means a flurry of new members coming in!! :twisted: :D :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

If they do you tell them BH is coming after them. I'm meaner than the meanest CoC preacher or elder. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
juliac

Post by juliac »

agricola wrote:a) never heard of it
b) not remotely interested
c) objectively, any group attempting to use social media/online/digital resources is progressive, even if their content isn't.

One of the real joys of having left, is that I have actually LEFT. I don't look back, I don't revisit, I don't try and argue coc people out of it.

It is rather hard to move forward, if you keep facing backward.
You bring up a great point of moving forward. When you're in a sect like that, you view things based on what you have been brainwashed to believe. When you leave a sect like this, you look at the doctrine in a different way, and I have found it beneficial to me to realize where I came as an now an outsider to the sect. I'm looking at the doctrine from a different lens now. I don't believe it's good to DWELL on your past necessarily, but it has helped me have closure by reading here and there things written by CoC leaders.

I don't try to argue CoC members out of it, either. I find it useless and unproductive. Plus what am I benefiting from it? Nothing. I just observe what's going on.

(Also, I think it's worth noting that in keeping up with the CoC news and such, I am overjoyed when I hear of entire CoC congregations transition out of their old conservative beliefs. And it is happening more as time goes on. More and more people have begun to question what they've been told their whole lives, and ultimately walking out of the sect. This is what my church I grew up in did a few years ago and they are now basically labeling themselves as a non-denominational church. It can be encouraging to read sometimes). At the end of the day, we all cope with things in different ways.
Currently writing a book based on my experiences as a child in the CoC. Watch for updates so I can include other ex-members insights :)
chattykitty

Post by chattykitty »

The ultra conservative CofC church I was born and raised in always toted that they were non-denominational... Although they mostly all act alike enough to be denominational... Except the liberal CofC is slightly more relaxed... And I just love reading these comments! For the 1st time in all my years I am beginning to feel not so all alone!
It's scary to think they started a school K - 6th... And online too! I guess they forgot about some of their legalisms when it came to this? Like no microwaves allowed in the church kitchens! But it's ok to have a coffee pot, toilet paper and women with vacuums and mops!
HighLiter871

Post by HighLiter871 »

A mop is clearly scriptural, while a coffee maker is a "necessary inference." The microwave issue, however, is troubling . . .