Please allow me to introduce myself...

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Kraka

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Post by Kraka »

You might recognize that line from the Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil", but I'm only the Devil in CoCer minds.

I married in to the Church of Christ, and I attended my husband's church for about 20 years. My husband still attends, but I walked out a few years ago when the preacher at that time went on a tirade from the pulpit which was directed at me. He turned red in the face started jumping up and down, and proceeded to declare that anyone who sat in church week after week and didn't respond and be baptized was just "mean". He did send a postcard after I stopped attending to apologize. He wrote, "I'm sorry if I offended you." I suppose he fulfilled his Christian duty to apologize, and I was the one who erred because I didn't accept his half hearted apology.

I'm out of that place and looking for another church that actually practices true Christianity, but my kids still attend with my husband. My husband was not very active in the CoC when we got married, but he has gone back, and now he wouldn't dare miss a service or activity. My husband is an adult, and he is responsible for his own spiritual life, but I worry about the damage the CoC is doing to my kids. At least I had a good upbringing in a solid Grace filled church, but my kids don't have any other standard by which to compare their church experience. I try to counter what they are learning in church with a less harsh view of the world and religion, but I know that every time they attend that church they have CoC doctrine hammered into their skulls.

I've read some of the experiences that life long CoC members have posted on this board about how they have built new spiritual lives outside of the CoC, and it does give me hope.
Moogy

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...

Post by Moogy »

"Mean"? Makes no sense at all. I guess he thinks you were "mean" to deprive him of the joy of saying he converted someone? I can just picture him red in the face, jumping up and down. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am amazed you survived 20 years. Welcome to our refugee camp!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Welcome! Hope your being here will be of help to you!
bnot

Post by bnot »

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Many can relate. Welcome!
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Kraka

Post by Kraka »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm happy to be here and have others to talk with who can relate.
Kraka

Post by Kraka »

Moogy wrote:"Mean"? Makes no sense at all. I guess he thinks you were "mean" to deprive him of the joy of saying he converted someone? I can just picture him red in the face, jumping up and down. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am amazed you survived 20 years. Welcome to our refugee camp!

He definitely tried everything he could think of to try an convert me to the CoC. He's retired now, but still a member at that church. He's always calling my husband to talk about church business, and I have to fight the urge to pick up the phone and bless him out. I try to get along for my husband's sake his whole family is CoC.
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

You are right to be worried about your children, and I hope that you find another church in a different denomination) soon and insist on taking them with you every other week. They can make their own minds up when they get old enough (really old enough; not 13 or so as demanded in the CofC). They can be saved from the mean-spirited, judgmental, hyper-legalistic, sour, grace-denying, misogynistic, Bible-worshipping Church of Christ. For their sake, I hope you can find a way to expose them to some realistic world-view and, if they need religion, a better and more loving and decent church experience.

Welcome to this board. You will find support and encouragement here.
Opie

Post by Opie »

My family has been CoC for generations. I'm now 61 years old, and one of my earliest memories as a very young child is of an angry man yelling and beating on the pulpit. If it had been ME yelling and beating on furniture, I would have been severely disciplined. This is just one example (out of many) of how I feel the CoC robbed me of a normal childhood. I have been attending the First Christian Church and am enjoying the grace-centered teaching.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
1982brandon

Post by 1982brandon »

I'm so happy you are out!
God loves you. It's just his "people" that make us doubt it.