Hi!

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Ivy

Re: Hi!

Post by Ivy »

Interesting!! I was born into the cofc and there was never an issue about cutting or not cutting one's hair.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
toby

Post by toby »

Hi, I am also from a coc that does not allow hair cutting for women. It took many years after leaving to be able to cut my hair. It is now shoulder length and I love it. :D
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

toby wrote:Hi, I am also from a coc that does not allow hair cutting for women. It took many years after leaving to be able to cut my hair. It is now shoulder length and I love it. :D
Fascinating.....

It's good to know there have been some nods to the "unity in diversity" credo of the cofc founders.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Ivy wrote:It's good to know there have been some nods to the "unity in diversity" credo of the cofc founders.
The unity in diversity motto was used by W Carl Ketcherside, Leroy Garrett, and others that had left the mainstream CoC tribes. Unity, in the view of these legalistic churches was only achieved by becoming a member of their church. :roll:
Unity in diversity
Maryann

Post by Maryann »

Hi, I am new here too... I was raised in a very conservative CoC. We had 1 cup, 1 loaf, no music, no cutting or even trimming our hair, no dancing, no co-ed swimming, no wine, no shorts or showing our knees at all. No wearing pants to church. I could go on & on.... I was the first member of my family to leave. It was very hard to do. I was in my 20's when I left.
I lost all of my friends, my family all thought I was going to hell.
I left because I truly believe that my GOD is good & full of love not hate, judgement, just waiting for me to slip up.
Since then, all of my immediate family had left to church. (Wow! I still refer to it as THE church) My uncle is well known travelling preacher and all of my extended family still attends.
I cut my hair if & when I want to. My daughters do too.
I love my life now and I love my kind, loving GOD.
I am sad for the little girl that I was and decided I would not ever want my girls raised that way.
Please message me if you ever want to talk.... hugs!
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Maryann wrote:Hi, I am new here too... I was raised in a very conservative CoC. We had 1 cup, 1 loaf, no music, no cutting or even trimming our hair, no dancing, no co-ed swimming, no wine, no shorts or showing our knees at all. No wearing pants to church. I could go on & on.... I was the first member of my family to leave. It was very hard to do. I was in my 20's when I left.
I left because I truly believe that my GOD is good & full of love not hate, judgement, just waiting for me to slip up.
Welcome ... Your post mirrors my CoC experience; glad we both escaped. :)
Unity in diversity
Maryann

Post by Maryann »

lvmaus wrote:
Maryann wrote:Hi, I am new here too... I was raised in a very conservative CoC. We had 1 cup, 1 loaf, no music, no cutting or even trimming our hair, no dancing, no co-ed swimming, no wine, no shorts or showing our knees at all. No wearing pants to church. I could go on & on.... I was the first member of my family to leave. It was very hard to do. I was in my 20's when I left.
Welcome ... Your post mirrors my CoC experience; glad we both escaped. :)
Hi lvmaus
It is nice to find someone who successfully escaped also. :)
I recently went to see my uncle who came to the west coast to preach. It was the 1st time I had been back to the CoC & heard him preach in years. Wow! I can not believe I was raised that way. I looked at the church, the wonderful people that I have known my whole life, & listened to what was being taught. I felt so sorry for them. It is such a sad way to live & believe.
I felt like I revisited my childhood. It brought back good & bad memories...