Preacher's Kid & F.C. Grad - grateful to be free!

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Blessed Assurance

Preacher's Kid & F.C. Grad - grateful to be free!

Post by Blessed Assurance »

I grew up in the coC - the hard-line non-institutional kind - three times a week, taking notes on my daddy's sermons. Most of them, I could still preach for him today, but of course, now I don't agree with the content, and they wouldn't let a woman in the pulpit anyway! I attended F.C. and passed all of my Bible classes with flying colors... I knew their doctrine inside and out, and I was proud that I could quote scripture to back it up. I believe that is part of why it has been so hard for me to look at the Scriptures with fresh eyes, ever since God's grace really touched my life.

God placed many people in my life who were Christlike, who inspired me by personifying Grace, but virtually none of those people were coC. I began to wonder, if my church has "the truth", why do these other people shine so brightly with God's light? And, how could they be believers without being scared that they would sin their way out of God's approval? It reminds me of the scripture that says "they will know we are Christians by our love". (not by our doctrinal and moral perfection) I still thank Him for those people, and I have found freedom and blessings as I moved away from the coC.

It has not been easy. I went through being "withdrawn from" a local church, but my heart was already elsewhere, and it only caused mild discomfort in my life. I guess the worst thing is that I still see hurt and disappointment in my parents' eyes, but after reading some posts on this site, I feel very fortunate, because they do not shun me or even try to preach at me anymore. I am sure that they mourn privately, and pray for me to be "restored", just as I did with them for other "fallen away" people, when I was growing up in their home. I do not feel a need to argue with them, or try to justify myself… They are elderly now, and I believe that when they pass from this life, and God's grace takes them into the arms of Jesus, they will open their eyes with full understanding, and know that I will join them there one day, and their mourning will be turned into elation. I guess you could say, I don't want to spoil the surprise! Of course, the real reason is that I know it would not do any good to try and convince them, and I don't want to waste our precious time together with conflict.

I have always loved the hymns, and I have learned to appreciate them in a new way, since being released from the daily fear of damnation. "Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine", " When We All Get to Heaven", "Grace Greater than our Sin"... I am so grateful to understand them more fully. I continue to pray that God will also open my eyes more completely to the Scriptures, without having that old coC filter in my brain that demands they could only mean one thing. It still haunts me.

I have reconnected recently with some friends who were F.C.connections who have also left the coC. It is so encouraging to talk with people who understand the language, the doctrine and the inner struggle to be free. That is what prompted me to visit this site today, and post. I pray that everyone who has been hurt by the misguided people in the coC will allow God to lead them to a happier, more peaceful place in life. Thank you for allowing me to share my story.

God is Good!
FinallyFree

Re: Preacher's Kid & F.C. Grad - grateful to be free!

Post by FinallyFree »

So glad you have joined us! The site will be of help to you. I come here everyday.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Welcome!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the Ex Board!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Grace, and the "one true church" do not go hand in hand. Welcome.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
bnot

Post by bnot »

Welcome to the board!!!
cathym

Post by cathym »

Welcome! I'm a PK, too, mostly from a "mainline" background, and a Harding grad, but I spent about 7 years attending an NI church, too. It's been an interesting journey.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

GMan wrote:Grace, and the "one true church" do not go hand in hand. Welcome.
But a water fountain and noninstitutionalism for some reason do just fine. :mrgreen:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
KLP

Post by KLP »

Welcome to the group, and I appreciate your positive spirit and tone it is very refreshing.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Blessed Assurance wrote:I grew up in the coC - the hard-line non-institutional kind - three times a week, taking notes on my daddy's sermons. Most of them, I could still preach for him today, but of course, now I don't agree with the content, and they wouldn't let a woman in the pulpit anyway! I attended F.C. and passed all of my Bible classes with flying colors... I knew their doctrine inside and out, and I was proud that I could quote scripture to back it up. I believe that is part of why it has been so hard for me to look at the Scriptures with fresh eyes, ever since God's grace really touched my life.

God placed many people in my life who were Christlike, who inspired me by personifying Grace, but virtually none of those people were coC. I began to wonder, if my church has "the truth", why do these other people shine so brightly with God's light? And, how could they be believers without being scared that they would sin their way out of God's approval? It reminds me of the scripture that says "they will know we are Christians by our love". (not by our doctrinal and moral perfection) I still thank Him for those people, and I have found freedom and blessings as I moved away from the coC.

It has not been easy. I went through being "withdrawn from" a local church, but my heart was already elsewhere, and it only caused mild discomfort in my life. I guess the worst thing is that I still see hurt and disappointment in my parents' eyes, but after reading some posts on this site, I feel very fortunate, because they do not shun me or even try to preach at me anymore. I am sure that they mourn privately, and pray for me to be "restored", just as I did with them for other "fallen away" people, when I was growing up in their home. I do not feel a need to argue with them, or try to justify myself… They are elderly now, and I believe that when they pass from this life, and God's grace takes them into the arms of Jesus, they will open their eyes with full understanding, and know that I will join them there one day, and their mourning will be turned into elation. I guess you could say, I don't want to spoil the surprise! Of course, the real reason is that I know it would not do any good to try and convince them, and I don't want to waste our precious time together with conflict.

I have always loved the hymns, and I have learned to appreciate them in a new way, since being released from the daily fear of damnation. "Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine", " When We All Get to Heaven", "Grace Greater than our Sin"... I am so grateful to understand them more fully. I continue to pray that God will also open my eyes more completely to the Scriptures, without having that old coC filter in my brain that demands they could only mean one thing. It still haunts me.

I have reconnected recently with some friends who were F.C.connections who have also left the coC. It is so encouraging to talk with people who understand the language, the doctrine and the inner struggle to be free. That is what prompted me to visit this site today, and post. I pray that everyone who has been hurt by the misguided people in the coC will allow God to lead them to a happier, more peaceful place in life. Thank you for allowing me to share my story.

God is Good!

Welcome aboard! I'm wondering what "F. C." stands for...