New to group-very thankful

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Lori

New to group-very thankful

Post by Lori »

Hello,
I am so glad to have found this site/blog. I am hoping to get support, understanding and learn quite a bit.
I come from a c of c family, pretty much (my mom's side and most of my dad's). My parents were "out of duty" when my sister and I were born. When I was the age of 6 (1973) they decided to go back to church. I attended a cofc from age 6 to 46. Wow! 40 years.
Not to go into it now, but my husband and I left in May 2013. The preacher literally told the 30 member group that he was ordained by God and we were to listen to every word he said. My husband had been dealing with the doctrine for quite a while (not raised in church). We left there that day and he said he could not return. Then he told me that he had been praying to God to show him a reason to stay. Well, he got the voice of God telling him the opposite. That told me a lot. My brother had left the c of c a few years before that. He had dealt with a lot of grief over it.
My experience is probably different then most. My dad passed away 15 years ago, so I don't have to deal with his possible disappointment. My mom is in denial.
I have had a friends stop speaking to me. I know it could be worse. I know there are many people out there that have lost family members over this.
I have taken the last two years to really get into the Bible to see what God says. I have learned that it is all about Love. Why would He make it so hard?
I have attended a Christian church for a year and half and am also enjoying visiting other non denominations in my area. What an experience.
I hope to share more on other topics.
Thank you for taking the time to read.
agricola

Re: New to group-very thankful

Post by agricola »

Hi Lori - welcome to the board, and congratulations for taking the huge step of leaving (and so happy for you that your husband is on the same page with you).
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Lori, you are in the right place. Welcome
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
juliac

Post by juliac »

Welcome! I'm glad to hear that you are discovering the love and grace God offers now that you are out!
Currently writing a book based on my experiences as a child in the CoC. Watch for updates so I can include other ex-members insights :)
cathym

Post by cathym »

Welcome!
17yearsfree

Post by 17yearsfree »

Welcome Lori! Glad you're here and thanks for sharing your story! So glad you still have some major support systems to help you along your journey.