If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
Don Tisdel

Post by Don Tisdel »

What I have read so far 90% can apply to my bio. I could add personal experiences but I'm sure that someone has had the same after reading some post. I'm 63 and left coc in my early 20's but the fear of going to hell for my thoughts have never left me. So many physical, emotional, mental, and social issues.
agricola

Re: New member

Post by agricola »

Physically leaving is only the FIRST part. Getting out mentally and emotionally is a whole other animal.

Hope we can help.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
onward

Post by onward »

Don Tisdel wrote:What I have read so far 90% can apply to my bio. I could add personal experiences but I'm sure that someone has had the same after reading some post. I'm 63 and left coc in my early 20's but the fear of going to hell for my thoughts have never left me. So many physical, emotional, mental, and social issues.
Welcome to the group; look forward to your thoughts.

Uber conservative CoC leaders are vigilant to control every thought of the congregation; instilling "the fear of going to hell" is just another tool they employ to insure conformity to their opinions. God is not going to send anyone to hell based on what a tyrannical elder envisions. Put as much distance between you and this group as possible, and never look back ... there's really nothing there!
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
GMan

Post by GMan »

Welcome, glad that you are with us.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
juliac

Post by juliac »

Welcome! Hope you can find encouragement from all of us!
Currently writing a book based on my experiences as a child in the CoC. Watch for updates so I can include other ex-members insights :)
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome! I am your age, but I didn't escape from the COC until I passed 30. I still have some residual damage, but also some strengths that grew out of my up-bringing and the trauma of leaving. This group can be very helpful. I am glad you found us!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Don Tisdel

Post by Don Tisdel »

I have known that the coc abuse was always part of the problem. I kept treating the symptoms alcohol, depression, diet etc.... this Web site has let me know that the coc is really as bad of what I went through.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

It's nice to meet you. :) This site is definitely helping me out of the fog. I hope it can do the same for you.
Real blessings come from people.