North Alabama

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
eyerollfacepalm

Re: North Alabama

Post by eyerollfacepalm »

I grew up in a NI family from the heart of the hornets' nest in north Alabama. It's definitely not a place you want to be if you were raised in the CoC and then left, especially when your family is still active and connected to everyone else in the area. Lots of angry, vengeful, arrogant, overdressed people pretty much everywhere you look.
Actech1958

Post by Actech1958 »

Hello amazon2817, I am in Cullman County. I am familiar with your term "Conservative" and "Liberal" congregations of the Church of Christ. Those terms do not include the International Church of Christ which is considered by most a full blown cult. The one cup-no class, (which means they don't break the assembly for Sunday school classes, and you thought I meant they had no class...LOL), Church of Christ is ultra conservative, and recognize the others as in biblical error. About me? I was Church of Christ 9 months before I was born! Parents, Grand Parents, and great-grand parents, (which I never knew), where also Church of Christ. Uncle was elder at Jackson Drive COC in Athens, Alabama. If you are from that part of North Alabama then you probably know me. I was raised in the conservative Church of Christ. Sick of the weekly "who can make it to heaven" and "knocking the Baptist", sermons, I joined with the Liberals. I found a little difference, but the same ideology, the Church of Christ is the Lords Church, and the only ones going to heaven mentality. Most "COC' members in Cullman will still talk and say hello and see how we are doing, but there are that few that hope you didn't see them in Wal-Mart. The 40+ congregations of the Church of Christ in Athens, won't speak at all. If I'm in Athens, and see one, I go up to them and make them speak anyway, LOL!! I left the COC, when I turned about 50. Now, 57 and YES parents still living, this was the best move I have ever made. Knowing that...(Ephesians 2:8, For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--) I can walk out in freedom!!! What a burden that has been lifted off of my shoulders, knowing I am walking with the Lord daily and will be living with him in heaven one day!! You see the Lords Church is NOT given to one group like the COC, but all who call on and believe in the name of the Lord Christ Jesus. It's like this, we are all part of the same nation, some of us are republicans, some are libertarians, and some are tea party, ( I purposely didn't say the "D" word..) but we are all of the same nation. The COC see it as if your not Republican your not a part of the same nation. The bible does not teach that concept. It teaches believers of Christ Jesus, their definition of "Church" just cannot be defined that way Biblically. I hope that I have helped ease the pain of your transition away from the COC. I believe in time you will find great comfort in your choice to leave. I'll check back on you from time to time to see how your doing. Have a great evening!!
agricola

Post by agricola »

welcome - and you may want to start your own 'welcome' thread so everybody can find you and say howdy.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Actech1958

Post by Actech1958 »

agricola wrote:welcome - and you may want to start your own 'welcome' thread so everybody can find you and say howdy.

Thank you, I will!!
Opie

Post by Opie »

Actech1958 wrote: About me? I was Church of Christ 9 months before I was born!
Haha, that's a great quote. Sounds like our life stories have a lot of similarities, except that I'm in Arkansas.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Actech1958

Post by Actech1958 »

Opie wrote:
Actech1958 wrote: About me? I was Church of Christ 9 months before I was born!
Haha, that's a great quote. Sounds like our life stories have a lot of similarities, except that I'm in Arkansas.
Haha, Thanks!!
NotFarEnough

Post by NotFarEnough »

I'm a survivor of pretty intense CoC abuse in Noeth Alabama, though I never joined and thought keeping CoC family at arm's length was what I should do instead of cutting off contact with them. I was wrong.
NotFarEnough

Post by NotFarEnough »

eyerollfacepalm wrote:I grew up in a NI family from the heart of the hornets' nest in north Alabama. It's definitely not a place you want to be if you were raised in the CoC and then left, especially when your family is still active and connected to everyone else in the area. Lots of angry, vengeful, arrogant, overdressed people pretty much everywhere you look.
Hahaha! Hornet's nest is a very good description! I think of them as the Polite Taliban. If it were socially acceptable to behead people in public, I believe more than a few of them would do it. Their abuse seems to only be limited by how it would look and what they can get away with.
kab9243

Post by kab9243 »

I'm from North Alabama. I left my church in Madison about 10 years ago. Best decision I've ever made.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Texas here. Welcome!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~