North Alabama

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
amazon2817

North Alabama

Post by amazon2817 »

I grew up in North Alabama attending a "conservative" Church of Christ. After experiencing much in-fighting, splits,...etc, me an my family decided to make a change. We are currently looking for a new home church and have attended several non-COC groups. I had the normal letters and calls as to why we left and also my parents have put us through the ringer. That has finally started to die down now.

But was mostly curious - how many others on this board are from N AL? It's one of the most populated COC as far as congregations go in the world. I would be interested in hearing others stories if you left a COC in N AL...
williamray123

Re: North Alabama

Post by williamray123 »

I left years ago, but I am from Birmingham. I was familiar with some north alabama churches. My brother lived in florence for a while but I don't know what congregation he went to.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome amazon - as you can see, I moved your thread to the Welcome board, since this is where we introduce ourselves and say 'hello'.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Welcome to the board. I'm not from Alabama. The COC has a huge presence in Texas, too.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
KLP

Post by KLP »

Welcome. I'm not from Alabama but I have been to churches in several northern places there including Cullman and Huntsville. But that was a long time ago.

Now when you say "conservative" (with the quote marks) do you mean Non-Institutional or just strict/mean? I was NI
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
amazon2817

Post by amazon2817 »

NI. I put conservative in quotes because that's how I always heard different COC's described - you were either conservative or liberal.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Welcome to the board, from Denver, Colorado
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
KLP

Post by KLP »

amazon2817 wrote:NI. I put conservative in quotes because that's how I always heard different COC's described - you were either conservative or liberal.
Yes, because you were only swimming in the NI pool, so "conservative" meant them. Here there is mixed bathing of all types.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
onward

Post by onward »

Welcome to the group.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
gustnickels

Post by gustnickels »

I'm from Walker county. Welcome!