New Member to Group

If you have privacy concerns, use a user name. This Support Board is for ex-CoC and those wishing to be ex-CoC. Others are asked not to read or post here. Check your email or trash for the email link to activate your account.
JLW

New Member to Group

Post by JLW »

Hi! Grew up in the extreme right-wing CoC. Family is still very devout, church leaders, etc., but I left about six years ago. After leaving, I initially didn't go to church at all, but I've attended a Methodist church for going on three years now. I'm currently struggling with how to break this to my family. They live a couple of states away, and I've found it easiest to simply not tell them. But that is becoming less and less easy as time passes - they are suspicious of something. But when I tell them, they will be devastated.
FinallyFree

Re: New Member to Group

Post by FinallyFree »

Welcome! I can so relate to how you feel! This site will be helpful to you.
flawed

Post by flawed »

Welcome, I am also struggling with the same issue. Hopefully this site will help you, it's been a great resource for me.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Welcome to the ex-board - please feel free to roam around a bit.
I hear you on the 'haven't told them and dread it' thing - I too moved well away from home and didn't tell my family for the longest time (really years. Years and years. I didn't even tell them I had a PHONE and always called from a pay phone (these used to exist, really) so they wouldn't have an easy way to get in touch with me).

How did it go? Well - not that well. But then, they did live several states away so it wasn't as bad as it might have been....

However, I do know and can tell you this: I wish I had 'fessed up a lot earlier. Failing to tell them something that important was acting as if I was doing something wrong, and that wasn't true.

Remember, though, you are not responsible for the way THEY respond to new information. So although this 'new information' is about you (whom they care about) and it is information they probably won't like, their reaction is still THEIRS, and you are not responsible for it. So please don't feel guilty (along with everything else).

Many people find that writing out this 'big reveal' works best. You can read it to them. Or mail it to them. Or just have it around to reinforce your own decision and read it yourself. What exactly do you want to say? What exactly will disturb them most? How do you want to present this?

It is better planned, though, and not thrown out in the heat of discussion about something else.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I could never have kept the secret that long. I knew the preacher underground gossip mill would out me quickly, since I have preacher relatives and the non-institional branch is so small. I wrote my parents a letter. Things were tough for some months, but they eventually accepted and stopped harassing me. Good luck!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Opie

Post by Opie »

Don't let anyone try to tell you that leaving the CoC is the same as leaving God. All you're doing is changing from one denomination to another denomination.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
JLW

Post by JLW »

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and support. I'm getting ready to tell my parents by phone this afternoon. I've written a prioritized list of talking points to help me through, and I've also written an email to send them later if it seems appropriate after the phone call. I'm about as nervous right now as I have ever been over anything.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I know it is a hard thing and I hope it goes better than expected. Welcome.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
GMan

Post by GMan »

Really glad to have you here!
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

Welcome!